12 - You're not in Boston anymore

"Get used to it Jack, we're all family

"Get used to it Jack, we're all family. You're not in Boston anymore."

Jack told Rory it was fine for her to get a ride with Megan. Maddie added, "Jack, bring Emma to story time. You've never been to one until you've been to mine."

"I'm not sure if I ever imagined you as an adult, but if I did, it wasn't doing story time."

"Was I that wild?"

"You were wild to the geek from Boston."

"You weren't a geek. You were just smart and sheltered."

They followed Rory who went to pick out books. Maddie was sidelined helping a mother and her reluctant reader, so she could only wave as the three left.

She felt foolish, but she actually went out of her way and drove by the Harris house as if she didn't believe he was there. Sure enough, it was lit up in March for the first time in Maddie's life. She wasn't certain why she was so excited about seeing Jack. She was glad to see he was okay, scruffier than she'd remembered. She definitely could use a new friend, and she had found two. Rory was sweet and had every reason to be vulnerable.

Maddie who was not typically one to join in the fray of gossip called Megan.

She didn't say hello. "I saw Jack!"

"I met that poor girl. She's struggling."

"She seemed okay at the library, but books are her refuge."

"Apparently she cries a lot when she would rather not, like in class. She's been through so much to lose her mother so suddenly. My heart weeps every time I've thought of them or talked to Kelly and John. I sensed from Kelly they were struggling, but..."

"Do you think that's why they moved?"

"Probably to get away from the memories. Rory hopes her new school will make a difference."

"I'll make myself available for her."

"Me too. Sorry, Maddie, I've got to go."

Maddie thought about the poor girl crying in school. She had recovered when she arrived at the library, but there was sadness in her eyes, Jack's too, even when he laughed. Maddie felt sad and restless. She called Laura.

"Hey, Maddie."

"I figured out who you saw eating lunch the other day."

"Oh, the cute guy with the baby!"

"Toddler and a teenager right?"

"Yes, who is he?"

"A summer kid I hung out with. I think they came here to get away. They're still dealing with the loss of his wife," Maddie said, thinking out loud.

"Oh God, was she sick? The little one is still a baby."

"It was a horrible accident. We were all devastated when we heard. A drunk driver hit her and the thing is she was still pregnant. They saved the baby, delivered by cesarean. Just thinking about it is horrible. He lost his wife and had a new baby in intensive care, because she was premature. Poor Rory is still struggling daily."