Falling Apart

this is my first fanfic! hope you enjoy it!
as some context, this is kinda set in the ep "Betrayal" but i've also added in some bits that you may recognise from other eps!

Nikki had just left the courtroom, barely managing to hold herself together after the stressful few hours she'd just had. Everything and everyone seemed to be turning against her.

Trying to shake her thoughts aside, she grabbed her phone from inside her handbag and went to call herself a cab back home.
Before she got the chance, her phone started ringing, making her jump. It was Jack. She walked over to the side of the room and slumped against the wall, answering it.

"Nikki?" Jack spoke in a worried tone. "Where are you? Clarissa said you'd be in court this morning but said nothing else, what's going on?"

Nikki sighed to herself then replied "Sorry I meant to tell you. Look, please can you ask Thomas to explain? I'm a little busy right now" Blatantly lying to wriggle out of a conversation she didn't want to have, Nikki hoped Jack wouldn't ask questions. She wasn't in the mood to talk about it.

"Ok..sure" Jack replied slightly concerned. "Nikki, are you ok?" he asked with a mix of both concern and care in his voice

On the brink of tears, Nikki hastily replied "Yeah, of course, I'm always ok!"

"Mmm. No you're not Nikki. Don't try to shut me out, do you need a lift home?" Jack replied concerningly 

Nikki shut her eyes and composed herself. "Yes please. Thanks, Jack"

"Ok, see you in a bit" Jack ended the call, dropping what he was doing and walking over to Clarissa.

"Was that Nikki? What did she say?" Clarissa asked.

"Yes. Well someone could've told me what she's doing, she sounds like she's barely managing to hold herself together. I'm off to go and give her a lift home." Jack grabbed his coat, turning and leaving without another word.

Waiting for Jack to arrive, Nikki walked outside into the bright sunshine, it was July and she could feel the sun on her face, but it didn't make her feel any better. So many things were racing through her head, crammed up like she was in that box.

Mexico. 

Trapped.

Nikki shook her head, not wanting to let those thoughts get into her head. Walking down the steps, she was distracted by her phone ringing. 

Hoping it was Matt, Nikki dug her phone out from her handbag but wasn't looking where she was going. She missed a step and tripped over her foot, landing at the bottom of the steps on a concrete floor. Luckily it was the last step, but she'd grazed her hands and her phone was still ringing, ringing in her ears so loudly she just wanted it to stop, for everything to just stop.

By the time she'd managed to pick herself up off the floor, the phone had rung off. "Shit" she muttered to herself, nothing was going right for her that day. She checked over her hands, nothing serious but there was a horrible burning sensation, "I'll sort it out when I get home" she thought to herself.
Checking her phone, she realized it wasn't Matt who had called her, it was Thomas. Nikki couldn't face another conversation about how she was doing, so decided to just sit and wait for Jack on a bench.

Whilst waiting, Nikki checked through emails on her phone, answering a few work-related inquiries, then checking her texts. Nothing from Matt. He hadn't skyped her in 3 days, and the only text he'd sent since then was a brief "sorry, I've been busy."
Nikki sighed but decided not to text him.
"Well guess what? I've been busy too." She huffed angrily to her phone.

To be continued! Stay tuned for the next part!!💛