Chapter 1 - Scarecrow

I woke up to the damned ringing of my cell phone. I looked at the display, 4 am, great! I picked up the call, in a bad mood.

"I seriously hope that this is an emergency or I will find you and torture you in many ways I can possibly imagine for waking me up at 4 am!"

"Kate?"

"John, is that you?" I sat up in bed.

"Yes."

"Do you know how long I've been waiting for a call from you? I was starting to get worried. Are you hurt?"

"Kate, listen to me, I don't have much time. I have a job for you in Indiana. I'll text you the coordinates. Please, write down these names."

I searched for a pen and I wrote down the six names Jon told me.

"Now I really need to go. I'll call you as soon as possible."

"John, wait! Is everything okay?"

"Everything will be. I'm getting closer to that son of a bitch."

"Please, beware."

"You too."

After John hung up the phone, I headed to the bathroom, took a quick shower and got myself ready. It was going to be a long trip from Wyoming to Indiana, so I decided to leave right away.

When I arrived at the motel parking lot, I spotted my baby, my beautiful black 1969 Chevrolet Camaro SS. It was a gift from my parents when I turned 18 and the only thing I had left of them.

I went in, turned the radio and left, listening to 'Afterlife' from Avenged Sevenfold.

-

Flashback on - Seven years ago

"Kate, I have a letter for you. It's from Stanford. Hurry up, I'm dying to know."

I ran down the stairs, grabbed the letter and opened it.

"So? Tell me!" My mom said, excited.

"I got in!" I cried out of happiness. "I got in!"

My mother wrapped me in a warmly hug. "Chris, come in, she got in!" she called my father. "I knew you could do it. I'm so proud of you!"

My father appeared on the living room as he heard the exaltation that came from there.

"So, tell me the news, Kitty Kat."

"I got in, dad. I'm officially at Stanford!" I said, proud of myself. My father hugged me as well.

"We have to celebrate it! I'm calling all my friends. Oh, they'll be so jealous! Luke was bragging that his daughter entered in Princeton. Wait 'til he hears about Stanford." My father was radiant. "And then let's dine out. You can choose whatever you want, Kat."

(...)

"Kate, go call your father and tell him we're ready to go."

I went upstairs and stopped at the door of his office. He was on the phone. I knew it wasn't right listening to his conversation but I couldn't stop my curiosity.

"Hey John, it's me. I have some news. It's about him. This is bigger than you think, they are everywhere. Even us talking right now, it's... it's not safe. I need you to come here as soon as possible. I'm fearing for my family." he sighed and hung up the phone.

(...)

It was middle of the night. I couldn't sleep. I was too busy thinking about what my father said earlier on the phone. What would he mean? Were we in danger? Who was that John with whom he spoke?