4: In Too Deep

4: In Too Deep  ♣ 

I open my eyes and I half expect to see the speckled ceiling of my apartment. I half expect to see my glow-in-the-dark star stickers that I had put up seven months ago. I half expect to hear the distant sound of cars passing by and people chatting outside my apartment complex.

However, I don't get any of that.

It's then that I realize that yesterday wasn't some dream. Yesterday actually happened. I actually lost everything and now I'm staying at One Directions flat. The worst day of my life is real and now I have to face the aftermath. How did this even happen?

I get up from the bed and make my way to the closet. I scrunch my nose in disgust as I catch a whiff of the Nandos. Taking the ripped backpack, I open it up and wince. God, it smells worse than the sewer. I guess I won't be able to sell these online. Holding the bag closed, I take the bag to the bathroom, dumping out the bad food in the toilet and flushing away all evidence. 

Looking back into the bag, that's when I remember something.

Out of all the items I could've been stuck with, I got stuck with items that meant nothing to me. Socks, booklight, and toilet paper. Of all the things, they couldn't have given me the one thing that means the world to me. They couldn't have given me my journal? 

Last night was the first night that I didn't write in it since I arrived in London seven months ago.

With a sigh, I make my way back to the guest room, taking the clothes I wore yesterday searching for a laundry room. I open and close several doors on the second floor before I head down stairs, still in search. As I'm walking down the steps, I hear something interesting coming from the kitchen. 

"I know, Trinity, and I'm sorry," I hear Niall say in an apologetic tone. 

"I waited at the store for an hour," A female voice, whom I'm assuming is Trinity Drake, replies with annoyance. "Do you realize how stupid I felt? Just waiting there?"

My guess? Very stupid. Which in my opinion is how she usually feels.

I roll my eyes at her. 

"How many times do I need to apologize?" Niall sighs. "We can just go with everyone else today. What's the big deal?"

"Well, then we won't have any alone time," Trinity says in a suddenly seductive tone. 

I wanna barf. I can just picture Trinity Drake with her manicured hands all over Niall. What did a girl like Trinity want with Niall? He looks innocent enough and Trinity isn't one to date for personality, considering her last few boyfriends either had fortune or fame, I guess Niall has both. 

How come I've never heard about Niall and Trinity before?

"Uh, well," Niall stutters, taking a big gulp. "Well, I just think it'll be better if I go get my tux with everyone else."

"But you promised that I could help pick it out," Trinity replies. I can just hear the over dramatic pout hanging onto her every word. 

"Well, something came up," Niall says a bit mumbled, I can only guess he is stuffing his face. "I said I was sorry."

"Look," Trinity says in a suddenly calm tone. "We can just go today. We can go out to eat and then we'll go pick out your tux. Sound good?"

"Well, I actually have prior engagements," Niall tells her cautiously.

"Prior engagements?" Trinity repeats in disgust. "What's more important than this?"

I can't even believe her. I thought that Trinity Drake is just a shallow girl who sings in glitter, but no, there is more to her. Like selfishness, and bitterness, and not to mention how rude she is. How is Niall putting up with her? If I was in his position I'd tell the lady to go. Peace out.

"Having fun?"

The voice came at my ear and I nearly jump ten feet into the air. I got caught red handed listening in on this conversation and now I just had a mini heart attack. Turning around, I see Paige looking at me, one eye brow raised a small smirk playing on her lips.

"Oh, uh, hi," I say nervously. "I was just, uh-"

"Listening in on Niall's and Trinity's conversation?" Paige suggests knowingly.

I scratch the back of my head nervously. "Well, yeah. That."

Paige laughs. "Catch anything interesting?"

I'm actually surprised she's not upset with me. I smile, relieved. "Nothing really. Trinity is just mad about last night."

"Of course she is," Paige rolls her eyes. "'No one stands up Trinity Drake'. I swear that girl has been over every day since I got back from Florida."

"You don't like her?" I ask curiously.

"Well, it's not really my place to say whether I do or not. I hardly know the girl, and besides if something happens between Niall and her, like she hopes, I don't wanna be quoted on any of this," Paige tells me with a sigh.

"Oh, I won't tell anyone," I inform her.

Like who can I tell? I have no friends, remember?

But of course, Paige doesn't no know. No one does.

"Well, thanks," Paige smiles.

"But why is she suddenly here all the time?" I ask.

Paige looks over her shoulder, then back to me, her eyes slowly trail down, catching sight of my dirty clothes. "Here, follow me," She says as she grabs my arm and takes me down the long hall. Suddenly we stop at the last door on the right and she pushes it open, revealing the laundry room I was searching for before I got sidetracked. "Can I have your clothes?"

Without asking, I hand her my work clothes and she easily pops it into the washer, adding in the soap and softener. Once everything is squared away, she turns it on and the looks back at me.

"So, the boys are starting to work on their new album," Paige explains. "And Trinity is trying hard to get a collaboration with One Direction. Probably to boost her popularity or whatever, and the boys new manager, Noel, wasn't sold on the idea and now she won't stop bugging everyone. She even called Harry a couple of times while we were away in Florida. It was annoying."

"Wow, I bet," I say crossing my arms over my chest. "And now, she's taking a liking to Niall to get the collaboration, or what?"

Paige shrugs, leaning against the washer as it cleaned her clothes. "I don't know what that's about. Niall won't say anything and Trinity isn't coming out and saying anything. I honestly can't tell what's fake or not on that girl."

Finally, someone who understands what I've been thinking all along. I have only known Paige for less than twelve hours and I already like her. She can see through people and I appreciate that. 

"Hopefully, Niall can see," I mumble, more to myself. However Paige caught it.

"Not likely," she sighs. "Niall is bringing her as his 'plus one' for Paul's wedding next week."

"So that's why they needed tuxes."

"Yup, and I bet you anything Trinity will insist on matching," Paige says.

"It's a wedding, not Prom," I point out. 

"Exactly what I thought," Paige says as she leans off of the washer. "Now, come on. Let's go get some breakfast. They're probably done arguing by now."

Against my better judgement, I follow Paige out of the laundry room and back out to the front towards the kitchen. Well, one thing is for sure, Paige is right. Trinity and Niall are done arguing, but Niall is no longer in the kitchen. Just Trinity, who is sitting at a bar stool, waiting patiently. Her manicured nails tapping away against the granite counter tops. A look of boredom spread across her face. 

Just seeing her in normal clothes is weird. I'm so used to seeing the glammed out, glitter face, bikini wearing Trinity Drake. This girl looked like a normal, high class girl, much like myself when I lived back in Arizona. Her dirty blonde hair pulled into a messy ponytail, her make up is toned down a tad and her outfit isn't totally revealing. Just high waisted shorts and a lace tank top.

When Paige and I walk into the Kitchen, Trinity's eyes narrow the moment she sees me. She gets up from the bar stool and slowly makes her way around the counter. 

"So, you're the girl Niall ditched me for?" Trinity asks, eyeing me up and down. Her thin eyebrow arched as if she is already comparing me to herself.

"Back up, Trinity," Paige says as she takes out two bowls from the cabinet, handing me one. "No room for jealousy here."

"Oh, I'm not jealous," Trinity shoots. "I just think it's sweet how she thinks she can take Niall away from me."

I suppress a laugh. She thought I was trying to steal Niall from her? Yeah, don't you actually have to have the boy before it's technically considered 'stealing'? But that's besides the point, I'm not interested in stealing Niall. I'm not interested in Niall period. Yes he's a cool and sweet guy, especially for letting me stay here, but right now, finding a boyfriend isn't one of my priorities. 

I need a job and a place to live before I can even think about dating or even trusting another guy ever again.

But of course, I can't tell any of that to Trinity Drake. That's just adding fuel to the fire.

"You think it's funny?" Trinity asks me, taking a step towards, closing the distance between us.

"Back off, Trinity," Paige warns.

Her face comes within inches of mine. Her long, thick lashes, her dark blue eyes, her pink lips are all but four inches in front of me. I catch every sight of her. Including the glob of mascara in the corner of her eye. 

Again, I try hard not to laugh. 

"Let me set up some ground rules for you," Trinity says to me, holding up a single finger. "One; Niall isn't yours. He's mine. Two; If you so as try to take him from me, I'll make your life a living hell. And three; stay out of my way."

Was she being serious? She's acting like I'm moving into this place. I don't know if she knows this, but staying here is the last thing on my mind. I can't be a burden to these people any longer and the sooner Niall and I go back to my apartment, the sooner I can try to put my life back together. 

"Understand?" 

I cock my head to the side, pursing my lips. "Okay, now I've got a few things for you as well," I hold up one finger, mocking her. "First, Niall isn't yours. So, calm down. Second; I wouldn't touch anything of yours with a hundred foot pole. And third, you have a bit of eye gunk, right there. It's pretty damn distracting."

I bring my hand up, pointing directly to the corner of my eye. Immediately, Trinity backs up, wiping her eyes frantically.

"Yeah, you wouldn't want Niall to catch sight of that horrible mess," Paige tells her with a chuckle.

Trinity looks between the two of us, her face red as she storms out of the kitchen, probably in search of a mirror. The moment she runs out, Paige and I fall into a fit of laughter. It feels nice to have someone to laugh with.

"Did you see her face?" I ask, between laughs.

"How could I not? She was completely red!" Paige agrees, laughing just as loud. "She got redder than I usually do! And that's saying something."

"Who is red?"

Paige and I both turn and see Harry, hair in his usual messy curls and pajama bottoms slung low, walk into the kitchen. Casually, he wraps an arm around Paige, pulling her in so he could plant a kiss at her cheek. Paige turns red as he does so as she smiles uncontrollably.

Well, one thing is for sure. Paige does blush easily.

"Just Trinity," Paige answers, still smiling up at Harry.

Harry's lips curls upward. "Yeah, Niall told me she was here."

"When is she not?" Paige retorts. 

"I know, babe," Harry says to Paige, rubbing his hand up and down the length of her arm reassuringly. "But, I come barring news for Maddy."

"News?" I ask, surprised.

What kind of news would Harry have for me?

He nods. "Well, it seems Niall has a slight change of plans and he told me to tell you that he can't take you to your apartment just yet."

"Let me guess, Trinity?" I ask, annoyed.

"How'd you know?" Harry says, feigning shock.

"I'm just psychic," I joke, uncrossing my arms and placing them at my hips. 

"So that means you can either stay here," Harry continues. "Or if you want, you can come with us to get our tuxes."

I don't even have time to think about what Harry just asked me because the moment the words leave his lips, Paige is already talking.

"Oh! You have to come with us," She insists, then leans in close to me as if sharing a secret. "I don't think I can handle the boys if it's just me. It's like baby-sitting."

"Aw, come off it. You know you love us," Harry says into her ear.

Paige's smile widens. "I know. It's hard not to."

I awkwardly stand in the kitchen as Harry and Paige stare at each other. It's pretty easy to tell that they are still in their honeymoon phase, despite the fact that the tabloids said that they've been dating for months now. However, you can just feel the love as they stare at each other. 

It reminds me of the way I used to look at Andrew.

I had thought he looked at me the same way, but it turns out he was too busy looking at my best friend to look at me properly. It still hurts just thinking about it. My boyfriend of half a year left me for my supposed best friend. In all honesty, I shouldn't have trusted Jessica in the first place. I don't even know why I had felt the need to introduce them. I guess it was because I had desperately wanted to make Jessica my friend. Since I left Arizona, I went out of my way to find someone anyone. Luckily, I found Andrew straight away. I went and fell in love with the first British boy that gave me his time of day. And feeling on top of the world, I quickly adopted Jessica into the role as my new best friend. It all felt right the moment I introduced my man candy to my best friend, but now it couldn't have felt more wrong. 

Just as quickly as they came into my life, they left it. 

And I'm left to pick up the pieces. 

By myself.

"Maddy?" Paige asks, leaning towards me. "Did you hear me?"

"Huh?" I ask, snapping out of my thoughts. "Sorry, spaced out."

Paige nods her head in understanding. "Well, I said you should probably get ready."

I'm already shaking my head, "You know, I don't have to wait for Niall to take me to my apartment. I can go on my own. I don't want to be a bigger  burden than I've already became."

If I was able to get out of Niall bringing me to my apartment, then I'd be in the clear. I wouldn't have to worry about lying to him. It'll be perfect and surprisingly, Trinity made it possible.

"You're not being a burden," Harry insists.

"We want you to come," Paige adds, and then in a desperate voice says, "I need you to come."

"But, I," I pause thinking about everything. What excuse can I give? How can I even get out of this? 

Do I even want to get out of this?

I probably won't be able to step into a store for a while, I might as well take them up on this offer, right? It'd be selfish if I didn't. 

I sigh. "When do we leave?"

"In an hour," Paige says excitedly. "You can borrow some of my clothes since yours are in the wash."

"Or you can always wear Niall's boxers out," Harry says with a full hearted laugh. 

"Yeah, i'm sure everyone would love that," I say, joining Harry. 

"You know what you should do with those?" Harry says mischievously, pointing toward the pair of plaid boxers.

"What?"

"Sell them online," He jokes, laughing hard. "I've always wondered how much Horan Boxers would go for."

I force an awkward laugh. Harry has no idea how close that hit home. 

"Don't tempt me," I joke nervously. 

~*~

"Okay, this one makes me feel very restricted," Louis complains from the dressing room. 

Paige and I are sitting in two small chairs, facing the row of private dressing rooms. We've been here for two hours trying on and switching out different tuxes. Paige looks like she is about to explode from boredom. She keeps leaning back in the chair, her arms crossed over her chest and her head tilts back as if she is getting ready to take a long nap. At times I'd think she is asleep if it wasn't for the fact that every few seconds she'd ask if the boys are done yet.

"Is it too small?" I ask, getting up from my seat, about to look for another tux. 

"Lou, that's the fifth one you've tried on," Paige complains, sitting up in her chair. "Can't you just pick one and be happy?"

"Well, excuse me for wanting to make sure I don't split my trousers while busting a move," Louis shoots back. 

"Well, you know, you could've had one tailored if you went and got one earlier," Paige points out.

"Hey, we weren't the ones that high tailed it to Florida, thank you very much," Louis counters with sass. "We wanted to wait for Harry!"

"You know, if you do split your pants I'll gladly take a picture and post it as your profile picture," Paige calls back. "How'd you like that?"

"Actuall-"

"Hey, can you both hush up?" Liam calls from his dressing room, cutting Louis off.

"Sorry," They both mutter like two kids who just got into trouble.

It doesn't take a genius to know that Liam Payne is no doubt the most logical person of the group. Even within minutes of meeting him, I could tell. It isn't only his strong presence, but it's his ability to scold out the boys when they've went and done something wrong.

I go up to the front desk, quickly asking for one size up in the same suit and I bring it to Louis' dresser, handing it to him through the curtain.

"Here ya go," I say cheerily. "This should give you plenty of room to bust a move."

"Thank you, Maddy," Louis says, putting emphasis on my name. "You're the best!"

I can't help but smile as Louis says that. Despite the fact that he only said that to get on Paige's nerves, I am still happy that someone appreciates me. After my horrible day yesterday, a simple 'you're the best' can do a lot for a girl. It did a lot for me.

"I love you too, Lou!" Paige shouts back with heavy sarcasm. 

I take my seat next to hers, laughing. "Still upset about the whole straw picture?"

"Yeah, but once I get Louis back, everything will be right in the world," She replies smiling.

"And how do you plan on doing that?" 

"Um," she pauses. "I don't know yet, but it'll be awesome and Louis will wish he never messed with Paige Carter."

I force another smile. I'm actually disappointed that I won't be able to witness Paige's payback. "I'm sure he'll think twice before messing with you again."

"Knowing Lou, he'll just get me back," Paige says with another laugh.