The Walk

I slammed my locker door swinging my bag over my shoulder. I turn in my heel and walk towards the exit. Everyone is excited to get out early today. As I push through the crowds you can hear their happy chatter.

"Hayo Kaya!" my friend Ellie comes running up to me.

I smile at her and wave, "Hey Ells."

"So what's up?" she asks in a cheerful voice.

"Nothin, Just going to go out in the woods today." Giving her an honest answer.

B-O-R-I-N-G!" she yells out loud and we both laugh.

"Well that's what I'm doing today. You should come out with me sometime." I say smiling even though I know the answer.

She makes a disgusted look and I can't help but laugh, "Me and wilderness? No way that'll work!" she shakes her head as we walk down the steps. "Is your mom picking you up today?" she changes the conversation.

"Yeah. She took work off today since she was tired. Secretly I think she wanted to spend more time home with dad." I whisper to her as I spot my moms battered up ford truck.

"Well call me later. I have some news to tell you!" she squeals and I roll my eyes.

"Let me guess..... a new boyfriend or something about a guy.." I look at her trying to read her facial expression.

She crosses her arms looking at me, "You'll just have to see. Anyways I have to go, see ya!" She waved and headed towards her ride smiling.

"See ya!" I shouted back and we both smiled at each other. I rushed over to my mom's truck throwing my back pack in the center of the truck.

"Hi sweetie. How was school?" She asks me as she starts the truck.

"Pretty good. Got an A+ on my chemistry paper today." she smiled at me.

"I'm glad to hear. We're gonna have to give you a day off of school for these grades." She adds jokingly and gives me a side hug.

"I wish," I say with a hint of sarcasm as I hug her back. We wind through the country roads as the autumn leaves descend from the trees. Finally we pull up to our small blue house that is surrounded by the woods. We get out the truck, I grab my back pack and close the door. I quickly enter the house and I am greeted by my little brother Jackson as he is covered in paint marks. We're painting the house up a little bit so Jackson wanted to "help", more like creating a mess. Then dad comes around the corner hugging me. I give him a kiss on the cheek and smile.

"Hi dad. Hi Jackson," I pet the top of Jackson's head as he gives me a hug around my waist.

"Me and daddy were waiting for you guys to come back. Look! Look! Look! we made this when yous was gone." he tugs on my shirt and I laugh as I walk in. "I's accidentally painted the window but daddy said it was ok. He would clean it offs later."

"It looks good Jackson!" I smile and he gives me his biggest grin.

"Yep! This little one has worked his butt off. Might take him out for a treat today." Dad walks up next to Jackson putting a hand on top of his head and ruffling his hair.

"I bet he deserves it." I walk over to the counter setting down my back pack in the chair. I grab my rubber boots taking off my vans.

"Out for the day again today?" my dad asks and I nod.

"Yep! found a creek yesterday. gonna see where it leads to." I put my long hair up into a high ponytail and grab a raincoat.

"Be careful!" my mom adds in I give her a hug smiling.

"I wanna go with you!" Jackson speaks through his missing front teeth.

"Maybe some other time." I ruffle his hair.

"Be back soon. don't know what is out there." my dad gives me a hug and I smile.

" I will!" I rush through the hallway and out the back door. "Alright! time to explore." I grip my small bag with an aid kit and food. I stuff my jacket in the bag and put it on my back. I look up at the tall trees and smile as a breeze passes by. Time to go into the never ending woods. I let out a breath and take a step towards the thing that will change my life forever, hiding, wandering, in the woods.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alright I finished the first chapter! Vote, comment, or like of what you thought of the story so far! Thanks for reading!❤️🍭😄