The Park Bench ~Luke Hemmings~

Cait's POV

The cold morning air stung my face and sent chills down my back as I walked out the front door.

I put in my headphones and softly played "Skinny Love" by Birdy as I walked down the sidewalk, my vans quietly thumping with every step.

I clicked my phone on and quickly glanced at the time before continuing to walk.

5:23

I've done this same exact routine for 2 years now. Woken up and walked the familiar concrete path to the only place I felt at home anymore.

The park bench.

As the small quiet pond came into view I turned and made my way down the pebble walkway to my spot, the bench.

As I sat down, now fading pictures some only fragments flooded into my mind.

The seemingly endless afternoons me and my dad shared throwing bits & pieces of stale bread to small quiet ducks of the pond.

The mornings when me and my brother would come out here and swim and play pirates and sea creatures.

The crisp nights when me and my best friend Brian would come out here and make small paper lanterns then place small tealight candles in them and watch them softly and silently float across the small quiet pond.

As I pulled out my my notebook I flipped to find and empty page and started writing. I didnt know what I was writing I just let my min wander and I wrote whatever came into my train of thought.

As I reached the end of the page I softly tapped my pencil on the top of the bench. I  could think of what to write and my mind just kept drifting to spaces of emptiness.

As I looked at the bench I got bored and drew a small heart in the corner. I smiled at it and went back to writing. After 2 more pages I decided that was enough and closed up my book.

I looked back at the heart and brought my pencil to it.

"Dear whoever reads this,

        I'm bored so I'm I think I'm going to leave now if you read this then you can write back or not if you don't want to. Ok bye.   -C"