Chapter 18

CHAPTER 18

Brittany's POV

I ran across the quad as fast as I could. I was so late for English and Miss Pillsbury is going to kill me. I finally reach her class and swing open the door and dash through, slamming it shut behind me. I walk to my seat, trying to draw attention to myself.

"Okay class, today are presenting the public speeches we prepared, so I choose who goes first from the attendance at random" Miss Pillsbury announces in her high-pitched friendly voice. I've been dreading speeches for the past week, yes I may have all A's in all my classes but public speeches are not for me. I pull out my English book and flick through the pages, finding the right one. I skim read it until horror struck.

"Brittany, why don't you go first" Shit. My eyes widen to the sound of my name. "Umm, okay..." I stand up and fix my uniform, looking formal as possible. I tug at the end of my white blouse, straightening it out, brush off my plaid blue and black skirt the falls just above the knee and readjust my navy school blazer.

I walk up to the lectern and place my cue cards down, my breathing started to quicken. I remember that my phone is in my blazer pocket and I quickly whip it out, checking the back to see my favourite picture of Santana. Santana. After seeing her smiling face I gained confidence. I clear my throat, "My name is Brittany S. Pierce and today I'm going to talk to you about-" I was interrupted by a loud ringing, a phone ringing.

I look around to find the owner and realise it's coming from my body. "Sorry" I apologize as I grab my phone out of my pocket to see her has rudely interfered. The screen pops up with one name. Quinn Fabray.

Why the hell is Quinn calling me? How did she get my number? I turn to Miss Pillsbury holding my phone up, "May I take this?" I politely ask, "Of course" she replied, "Um, Marley, how about you go while Brittany is taking her call". "Thank you so much, I'll be quick" I swiftly exit the classroom and answer the call.

"Hey, Quinn, what's up? How'd you get my number?" I ask as I pace the empty hallway. "No time to explain" She sounds sick, her voice is croaky and I hear her sniffle, but behind the sickness, she sounds urgent and hesitant, "What happened? Are you okay" I say in a worried tone. "I'm fine but Santana's not, she had an attack, can you go to McKinley?" Santana had an attack? "Of course I'm on my way now" I hastily said.

I barge back into the classroom, still on the phone and run straight to my bag and start packing my things. "Brittany, what are you doing?" The whole class, including Miss Pillsbury, is turned to me, I cover the mic and say "Medical emergency" and return the phone back to my ear, "What happened? Why did she have an attack?" I swing my bag over my shoulder and leave the class, waving a good luck wave at Marley before I go.

I'm running down the hallway to the exits when Quinn starts to explain "Since I'm sick she had to go to school by herself today. She told me she'll be okay on her own and I believed her, I did call her every hour telling her she'll be okay but since I'm taking all this cold medicine I got drowsy and fell asleep," She disappointedly sighs and continues with the story, "I forgot to call her for maybe two hours when I finally woke up to someone calling me. It was the school saying San was having a panic attack" I could hear her voice crack, I think she was crying, "The school knows about her 'condition' and that's why they called me but since San took my car this morning I can't get to her" the cracking turned into a full sob. "It's okay Quinn, I'm on my way," I say as I push through the main doors of Grace Elise.

"Quick Question: how do I do this?" I have no idea what I'm doing? What if I do something wrong? What if I make it worse?" I ramble into the phone in a panic. I can't do this. "Calm down Brittany, just do what you normally do when you're together" She advised. A million more questions swim through my head.

"It's all my fault, I shouldn't have let her go to school alone, I shouldn't have taken too much medicine and because of that I can't help her through her attack" she cries into the phone, "No Quinn it's not your fault, don't blame yourself. You thought Santana could do it by herself and yeah you fell asleep because you were taking care of yourself and now I'm gonna help Santana through her attack for you" I reassured her. "Thank you, Britt," she sniffles, "No problem, gotta go" I end the call for better speed.

I've made it halfway and I'm not stopping now, my adrenaline is pumping through my body and I feel like I can't stop, it's so overwhelming. My mind was racing, how do I do this? I've never experienced anything like this, let alone comforting someone who has autophobia. I finally reach McKinley and I run to the Principal's office, "Principal Figgins, Where's Santana Lopez? Quinn sent me to help her," I barge into his office out of breath and puffing, "She's in the choir room" I hear him say before dashing out of his office and looking for a classroom that would remotely look like a choir room.

I've never been in a public school properly and it's so different from Grace Elise, dirtier, busier, crowded. I run through the hallways, I see people staring but I don't care, I just need to find Santana. I'm looking through all the windows on the doors, searching for a very meticulous Latina but it's no use, this school is huge.

Suddenly I see someone familiar, Rachel Berry. I run towards her and she sees me, "Why hello Brittany, back for another performance?" she was too cheery for my current situation. "Uh, no, do you know where the choir room is?" I urgently ask, "Yeah just around the corner, the first door on the left, why?" She asks. "No time, but thank you" I literally run out of the conversation and follow Rachel's directions to find exactly what I needed.

Around the corner and the door on the left, I found her. I burst through the door to find Santana in the farthest corner of the room, her knees to her chest, rapid breathing, gasping for air and her was skin pale and sweaty and tears streaming down her face. I run straight to her and pull her into a hug.

"Hey San, it's me, Britt, I'm here to take care of you" I pick her up, bridal style and place her down on one of the nearby seats. Her lips were quivering and her eyes were closed. I held one of her hands and she was shaking like crazy. "Hey Santana, hey, look at me, you're not alone anymore, I'm here". She continues to panic and nothing was working. I started to freak out.

I look around to find something that could help and then it hit me. I pick her up again, this time I could feel how fast her heart was beating through her chest, and place her down on the piano stool. When she was securely sat down, I sit next to her and place my hands on the keys, "Hope this works." I play the first key.

You're not alone

Together we stand

I'll be by your side

You know I'll take your hand

I look up at Santana and she's still the same, so I continue.

When it gets cold

and it feels like the end
There's no place to go
You know I won't give in
No, I won't give in

I see her eyes have slightly opened, and her breathing has slowed down, It's working. Her hands continue to shake as she attempts to wipe her tears away.

Keep holding on

'Cause you know we'll make it through

We'll make it through

Just stay strong

'Cause you know I'm here for you

I'm here for you

I see her body relax and her breathing calmed. He hands stopped shaking and her brown eyes are open and I can see those familiar chocolate brown orbs. She looks up at me, processing everything and says a single word. "Brittany?"