Chapter 33- What Now?

Natalie POV:

"So... what did you decide?" I ask Sharon nervously.

"Unfortunately, the board decided we can not eliminate the cost. I tried to make them see reason, however they don't see it as fair. Since Zoe is still like any other patient it would be unfair to all the other patients. I'm so sorry Dr. Manning."

I feel my heart drop. Will isn't going to let us adopt her... not with the cost of the treatments. I stop walking and just try and take deep breaths. I look up and see Zoe walking with Will up to our car.

I can't break her heart again. I need to find a way to adopt her and provide her with the life she deserves.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Alright Zoe, we're just gonna pick up my son Owen from my mother in law's house, okay? After that we're gonna go to Portillos to get some food, you okay with that?" I ask as Will pulls into Helen's driveway.

"Yeah! I love portillos!" She shouts excitedly.

I give her a big smile before walking up to Helen's door. When the door opens Owen runs up and immediately wraps his arms around my legs.

"Hey buddy! How was your day with grandma?"

"Good! We built a huge tower out of blocks and even made a blanket fort!"

"That's amazing! You up for portillos tonight?"

"Yeah!!! I love portillos!" He shouts excitedly as he rubs up to the car.

I quickly wave goodbye to Helen before opening the door for him. He immediately gets in but almost gets out when he notices Zoe.

"Owen, this is Zoe, she's gonna stay with us for a bit, okay? She needs a place to sleep tonight and has a doctor's appointment with mommy tomorrow."

"Okay. Hi Zoe! I'm Owen! Do you like blocks?"

"I love blocks!" She shouts excitedly before they immediately start bonding over their love for blocks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Good night Zoe! Good night Owen! I'll see you two in the morning!" I call out as I walk into my bedroom.

"Night night!" Owen and Zoe both call out.

"Hey Nat, you okay? You seem stressed." Will asks as I climb into bed.

"It's just... Sharon called... they can't do Zoe's treatments pro bono. What now?"

"We'll figure something out, okay? Let's start trying to find her a family or finding a way to afford her treatments. Alright?" He asks as he rubs my back gently.

"I do have one idea..." I mutter to myself knowing how much he'll hate it.

"What is it Nat?"

"I could stop doing treatments..."

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

AN: Yes, I am also amazed I just updated again after posting yesterday. I was in a creative mood and just let the words write themselves I guess. Anyway I guess this was kind of a filler as well but trust me it's gonna get deep next chapter!
Maybe even to make up for my lack of updating I'll try and do a longer chapter.