Chapter Thirty-Two

I open my eyes to a finger gently tapping my shoulder. I sit up and rub my eyes, jumping when I see Klein laying next to me with a small smile. I sigh out in relief, then give him a small look of annoyance.

"Why do you always do that? Why can't you gently call me instead of poking me? I'm a dangerous sleepwalker, you know," I inform him jokingly, "You know what sleepwalkers can do when someone wakes them."

"It's just cute the way you react," he pauses, poking me again, and I jump back with a squeak, "It's fun." He chuckles, then stops poking me and stands up. "Anyhow," he starts before I can retort, "it's around nine. You slept like a rock."

"Sorry! Did you get any sleep?" I apologize through a yawn. 

"Yeah, I did," he assures me with a grin.

"Okay. Since it's nine, do you want to eat, or do you want to wait 'till breakfast?" I offer him two situations, and he thinks them over carefully. 

"I'm not that hungry, but if you want to eat, then we can fix ourselves something," he suggests. 

"I'm not hungry either," I mutter, stretching my cramped arms. He nods, then walks upstairs after giving me a hug goodnight. I wheel myself back into my room, crawling from my chair to my bed, and pulling the covers over my neck. I soon fall asleep to the small sound of crickets outside my window, my mind blanks as my eyelids droop over my field of vision.

(Klein's perspective)

I walk up the stairs and to my room, closing the door behind me and letting out a sigh. 

I wonder what Skylar thinks of me. If she has any regrets about not being able to walk for our wedding? I hope not, but sometimes hoping isn't enough.

I lay down on my bed, turning off the light, but sleep doesn't come easily. I watch lights dance on the ceiling, reminding me of Skylar's eyes. For some reason, I can't stop thinking deeply, so I can't fall asleep. If I do, it's just a quick blink of sleep, instead of normal, full-nights sleep.

"I've heard that's when you get the best amount of sleep you have in forever," Skylar had told me. Yeah, I wish I would have that kind of sleep. 

I laugh quietly at some memories rushing back to me and find my eyelids heavier than before. I let my eyes close, and as soon as they're shut, I finally fall asleep. 

I wake to a bright light filtering through the blinds on my window, making me turn over to block the glaring beams of light. Then I force my eyes open, and once they are adjusted to the bright light, I get out of bed, changing into a casual outfit. I walk downstairs to find Skylar sitting in her wheelchair at the table, her back to me, a newspaper in her hands. Smiling, I sneak down the stairs as quietly as I can.

I tip-toe up behind her, and as I'm right there, she says casually, "Good morning, Klein." This nearly scars me half to death, as I wasn't expecting her to actually stop me from scaring her. I stay as silent as I can, hoping she thinks that she messed up. But she looks up from the newspaper, peering at me over her reading glasses and over her shoulder.

"Uh, good morning," I reply awkwardly, "how'd you know I was there?"

"I saw you in the mirror. And it's kind of hard to sneak down those stairs without them creaking even the slightest squeak," she points out with a small smile.

"Man, next time I should try moving that mirror before scaring you. You were waiting, weren't you?" I teasingly look frustrated, hands on my hips.

"Yep. It's always in the mornings when you try to get a good scare in," she mutters, setting the newspaper on the counter. She seems upset as she takes off her glasses and sets them on the table somewhat harder than necessary.