Chapter Sixteen ~ Red Roses

It is Valentine's Day today but Josie is in a bad mood, she is tired, sad and lonely. Even if it is one of the best days of the year for the shop, financially. She isn't looking forward to putting up with all those happily in love people who will come in today to buy flowers for their loved ones. Josie was glad when Katherine said she would close the store with the intern so Josie could escape from all of it early. She was surprised with her assistant's proposal, Katherine normally always has a date on valentine's day and she has worked overtime a lot lately so she would have deserved the night off. Josie tells herself to make it up to Katherine and give her a couple off extra days off very soon.

While Katherine handles the checkout and the intern helps the customers, Josie makes bouquet after bouquet. The flower fridge is filled with three times as many red roses as there normally are and they also have more other flowers than usual because not everyone buys red roses on valentines.

"Josie, can you go for lunch first?" Katherine asks with a big smile on her face. Something is up with her, she has been smiling at Josie all day and she keeps telling her it will be a good day for her. Josie thinks valentines has gotten into her head and now she is high on love.

"Yes I will take my lunch now but if you need me, I'll be in my office so you come and get me." Josie finishes off the last bouquet with a red ribbon before she puts it in front of the store window. She walks to her office, wishing she could turn off her feelings but she can't and she feels like she has a hole in her heart. A hole that only one person can fill up.

In her office she falls into her chair with a big sigh and tiredly rubs her eyes before she reaches for her big black handbag, sitting on the ground next to her chair and looks for her phone, secretly hoping there will be a message from that one person she is craving so much.

Instead there is a text message from Ted, who volunteered to watch the kids today which is weird to Josie. Since it's a Saturday and valentine's she thought Ted would want to spend alone time with his precious boyfriend Jonas. She opens the message and smiles when she sees it's something from her kids.

The kids are so sweet and have been behaving so well since they have been at their father's

The kids are so sweet and have been behaving so well since they have been at their father's. Last week, while she was at Ted's, Lou called her mother to apologise for her behaviour and promised to be good again. Josie has no idea where the apology suddenly came from but she thinks somehow Ted heard about his daughters behaviour and talked with her.

Josie sends a quick text back saying she will be ready and can't wait before she eats her lunch and goes back to work. She thinks that if she works faster, time will go faster too and she is looking forward to spending time with her children and Josie silently thanks them for lightening her mood with a simple text.

When Josie comes home she takes a much needed shower, it was so busy at the shop and she feels dirty, when Josie left they had already run out of red roses and she ordered more than last year.