Chapter 7:

I was immediately greeted with something I haven't received in years. Something I hadn't felt since my mother passed. I felt compassion, love, and joy the first thing in the morning. It was lovely, waking up in the only place I ever called home and seeing the people I considered family so united and happy to see me.

Tricia and Sara both chirped, "good morning" and passed me a tray piled with two chocolate chip waffles, scrambled eggs, bacon, different assortments of fruit, and a cup filled with hot chocolate.

"No milk, no traces of peanuts." Tricia says, making me smile enough to showcase my dimples.

"Thank you so much." I smile sincerely, following Zayn to the stools to the island table.
Sara was content drinking her berry strawberry smoothie while sitting on the marble countertops. Her tiny legs dangled off the edge, staring at us tentatively. I know this little girl better than anyone. She doesn't believe us.

I wait until Tricia excuses herself to receive a call before turning to Zayn. I couldn't stop the smile forming on my face. The jelly he placed on his toast migrated onto his lips. I knew I had to sell this or else Sara would begin to ask questions- not only to me but to everybody. We had been there for one night and barely spoke to each other the entire time. With my eyes telling him to trust me, I lean in and press my lips against his. He kisses me back softly, clearly shocked my actions. His hands placed themselves on my thighs as he pushed me to his direction. I pulled away once I thought I had taken the jelly off, but I still hadn't.

So, I do what any logical crazy person would do.

I lick the jelly off the side of his mouth, before turning to Sara. Her eyes were wide and she seemed speechless. Until her mother came back and she shrieked, "gross! They like... love each other mommy it was so gross."

"Aw my babies." Tricia said excitedly, hugging both Zayn and I from behind. I dropped my fork mid bite and hugged her back. The love I have for this woman is one beyond compare, and I feel horribly for deceiving her.

But, in complete honesty, it is for the best. She can't stay up late worrying whether her son is okay or not, she needs security and if I can provide her that I'd lie a thousand times over.

For this family, I'd do anything a thousand times over.

"Where's everyone else?" Zayn asks, looking up from his phone to make eye contact with his mother.

"Your sisters and father are all at work but you'll see them all tonight at dinner."

"Is Neil coming too?"

"Who?" I interrupt Zayn, feeling weird as his hand traveled to my thigh. I don't know why he did this, it's not like anyone could see it so what's the point?

Oh, wait, I know the point. It's just to make me nervous. He's such an ass, he knows the affect he's had on me. He knows that since the first day we met, when I found him swimming in my pool one faithful summer afternoon, that I'd always be damned for him.

"Doniya's fiancée."

"Agh I'm so excited. I love love." I say, barely concealing my excitement. The wedding was a two weeks away.

"I know first marriage then grand-babies..."

Zayn quickly took his empty plate and put it in the sink, not bothering to excuse himself. Or apologizing for cracking his mother's porcelain plate by dropping it in the sink so carelessly. I excuse myself quickly and follow after him, apologizing to Tricia while walking down the stairs to the foyer. He was already halfway down the parking lot.