Part 10: The Dragon's Curse

Everything in the room came to an absolute standstill as the announcement hung in the air. Henrik stared at the girl standing before his father. She was most definitely Agatha Farfalle—but why was she wearing Nadia's dress? Many daughters had already tried, bringing forth rings and promises, but none of them were Nadia. He still had to hope that she would appear at the masquerade.

Lord Sigmund coughed, and Henrik blinked aside his musings to find his father looking at him.

"Son?" He rasped in a comically-aged voice. "Is this the woman you spoke of?"

"Of course she is!" snapped Lady Jacintha, pursing her lips impatiently. "Can't you see she's wearing the Ring?"

Henrik watched Agatha, who gave him a beguiling smile. "Don't you remember that night, sir?" She asked softly, blinking her wide eyes. "We sat and watched the fireworks, and then you led me into the ballroom for dancing!"

"Your steward can confirm that my daughter was most certainly in attendance that night," Jacintha supplied, waving her hand in the general direction of Sir Travis.

Henrik glanced at his father, and Sigmund waved for him to respond.

"I'm sorry," Henrik replied to Lady Jacintha. "But the woman we seek goes by the name of Nadia."

"What does her name have to do with it?" Lady Jacintha's careful veneer slipped, and she couldn't hide the sneer dancing over her lips. "We have the Ring, isn't that what you want?" She turned her attention to Lord Sigmund, but the old man seemed to have fallen asleep—as elderly men past their prime were wont to do. "Your Lordship was very clear in the letter. I have fulfilled my terms, as a faithful servant of the Drakistos family..."

As she spoke, a distinct chill settled over the room. Ladies pulled their wispy shawls closer, men grabbed the lapels of their jackets. Henrik couldn't restrain a small shiver as a breeze built up through the room, as if they stood on a mountaintop in the open air.

His father jerked upright, eyes fixed on the massive window as if waiting for something to happen."Is it here?" Henrik heard him whisper.

The wind played with the skirts of the two women standing on the floor. Lady Jacintha whirled around with a scowl, clinging to the folds of her dress as if her hands could hold them down against the growing wind.

Agatha clung to her mother's arm. With the ill fit of the dress, she risked losing it altogether."What's happening, mother?" she asked. "Where is it coming from?"

Henrik followed his father's example and watched the window intently. A shadow unfolded behind it, looming larger and more defined. He could see it was a winged creature of some sort, but just before it seemed it would crash into the window and enter the castle, the shadow disappeared, and the wind ceased in the same moment.

Everyone in the Governor's Court let out a sigh of relief that echoed in the silence. Everyone, that is, except Lord Sigmund.

Henrik watched him for a long moment, waiting for his father to stir. Lord Sigmund slumped in his throne, the sagging wig covering his face.

"Father?" he asked, reaching toward Lord Sigmund's shoulder. He prodded it a little, but His Lordship did not stir. "Father, wake up!" He pushed a little harder, and Lord Sigmund promptly tumbled out of his throne, and down the steps of the dais. Lady Jacintha cried out and pulled her daughter back a few paces.

Henrik felt his fear building as he stepped down after his father. "Fathe—"

He hadn't even finished the word before Lord Sigmund finally moved. His arms stretched out, and his back twisted, as if he were trying to get his legs under him to stand up. A steady, grunting growl built up from him, as his body twisted some more."Hen....Henrik..." Lord Sigmund groaned through clenched teeth, hissing through some inexplicable pain.