Chapter 1

Alex has always loved October. Especially Halloween, and had done since he was little. Back when he lived in the UK, he would always decorate his house with overdramatic Halloween decorations, including obnoxious lights which annoyed his parents ever year, but they still allowed him to have them. He would also go trick or treating with his friends and would spend the night telling made up stories and scaring the shit out of his friends.

When he moved to America at age 11, his love for Halloween continued to grow. He continued trick or treating, and made friends with the boys on his estate who adored Halloween as much as he did.

Obviously his love for Halloween stayed way into his 20s and was still obsessed with Halloween when he was nearly 30. He'd always decorate his home and buy candy for the children who lived in his apartment block. His friends, Rian and Zack, weren't too impressed by his love for Halloween, but they loved Alex.

So in October, when a new neighbour moved in across from his apartment, Alex knew he was fucked.

————————————————————————

"Alex, how the hell are you right?" Rian argued, pausing on the stairs to look down at his best friend in disgust.

"Rian let it go" Zack said softly, continuing to walk up the stairs, followed by Alex, who was laughing uncontrollably at Rian.

"No Zack I'm not going to let this go, pineapple doesn't belong on fucking pizza" Rian said, glaring at Alex who was still laughing.

Alex sighed "You're ridiculous"

"Shut up" Rian said, smiling "you know I'm right"

Zack nudged Rian, who turned to look at his friend in confusion.

"Look" Zack whispered.

At the top of the stairs, on the landing just outside Alex's apartment, was a large stack of boxes. Each box was labelled with various things, some with the words 'Fragile, Handle With Care' written across the side in block capitals.

"So someone finally moved in then" Rian said, as they moved towards Alex's apartment. He turned to Alex " Did you know this was happening?"

Alex shook his head and stared at the door across from his. It was closed but from where he was stood he could hear multiple men shouting demands and moving furniture across the old floorboards.

He turned round to let him and his friends into his apartment when he heard the door behind him swing open. Behind him stood a lanky, brunette man, wearing a black hoodie which was clinging to his torso and jeans which were slightly too small for him.

"Hello"

"Hi" Alex said awkwardly, staring at the man who stood in front of him.

"I'm Jack" The other male grinned at Alex. "Sorry about all the boxes, they'll be gone later"

"Don't worry about it" Alex said "I'm Alex by the way, welcome to the building"

"Thanks" Jack grinned.

It wasn't until Rian slapped Alex on the arm that he realised he'd been staring at Jack. "Alex? Can we go in?"

"Yeah sorry" Alex said and scrambled for his keys before letting his friends into his apartment, who immediately made their way to the sofa and flopped down next to each other.

Alex took one final look at Jack before quickly slamming the door shut behind him.

"So" Rian said, a knowing grin on his face "New neighbour huh?"

"Shut up"

Zack laughed. "Alex there's nothing to be embarrassed about"

"Except for the fact that you have a girlfriend" Rian added.

Alex looked at Rian in shock "Why would that matter?"

"Don't bullshit me Alex, we all saw it, just admit what we all know and we can move on"

"I have nothing to admit to" Alex said defensively.

"Sure you don't" Zack mumbled, earning a giggle from Rian beside him.

At that point, Alex heard a knock at the door and headed over to open it, not before glaring at Zack and Rian, who were still laughing at their own jokes. "You guys are pathetic"

"You love us though" Rian added.

"Hmm sure" Alex grinned, opening the door.

When he opened the door he was surprised to be greeted by Jack, who was smiling at Alex with a huge grin. "Hi again"

"Hi, Jack right?" Alex said, even though he already knew.

"Yup" Jack giggled. "Sorry to bother you again, but do you have any scissors, I need some but mine are packed in one of the boxes somewhere"

"Uh sure" Alex replied, quickly heading to his kitchen to grab the scissors before handing them to Jack, who nodded in gratification and headed back to his apartment.

"Nothing to admit, my ass" Zack said as soon as the door closed.

"Fuck off Merrick"

However if he really thought about it, Alex knew Zack wasn't wrong. And he felt so bad about it.