Chapter 2

"Hey Aubrey! How is this possible? I haven't seen you since last week, and yet, your super tall now!!!" My best friend, Melissa, yells in greeting when I open the front door.

"Well hello to you too Melissa. I see now who you like more." I tease her as she picks up Aubrey, who has had a big smile in her face ever since she saw her aunt Melissa.

"Of course, she's cuter!" Melissa says as she continues to crush Aubrey to her. I chuckle before going outside to help her with her luggage. Once I enter, I see that Melissa has already made herself comfortable.

No matter what, I'm glad that Melissa's here. It has barely been a week here at South-port, and yet, I was already started to miss my best friend. Melissa, looks over at me, as if sensing that I'm thinking about her. I give her a small smile as I enter the kitchen to finish dinner.

"Hey Aubrey, why don't you go bring me some of your toys? I want to play dolls with you." Melissa says, as she lets down Aubrey. Of course, Aubrey knows what she really means. Without a word, she exits the room, to head to her room.

"So, what's up? How have you been feeling?" Melissa asks quietly before sitting down in one of my few chairs. I follow her lead and sit down next to her.

"It's different. I really like it though. The woods, they help me think." I look at her with a small smile. "Does that sound creepy?"

Melissa laughs. "Hell yeah, but it doesn't matter. Now, you know that that wasn't what I meant." Melissa presses on.

"I know, I was just trying to stall."

"Well it's not working. Now hurry up." I heave out a sigh and look out the window. Once again, I feel the memories start to find their way back to me. But I wont let them. Hell no, I'm done with that.

"I haven't had as much nightmares anymore. I'm down to only a three times a week now." I whisper as quietly as I can.

"Oh Eliza, damn it! How can I help you? Just please tell me! Just tell me what to do!" Melissa yells as she suddenly stands up. Then, as if remembering Aubrey, she sits back down.

"Look, don't worry. I'm a big girl. I can handle sleepless nights. I just- You wanna know how to help? help me distract Aubrey. She knows you know. She can tell. No matter how hard I try, I just can't stop my screams." I look up at her now in an almost desperate manner. "Just help me with this."

Melissa looks at me one more time, then, she suddenly stands up and grabs her bag.

"Aubrey! let's go sweetie, we're going to the beach!"

............................................................................................................

"Can I swim Mommy? Please? I want to swim!" Aubrey squeals with excitement. Of course, she doesn't know how to, but that doesn't stop her.

"Aubrey baby, don't you think it's too cold for a swim? I wouldn't want you to catch a cold." I explain. I know that Aubrey won't get mad at her denied request to the water. She knows well enough that I cant always get her what she wants.

"Too hell with colds! C'mon Aubrey! Leave your dull momma here! You and I are going swimming!" Melissa belts as she grabs Aubrey's hand and starts to pull her toward the water. Still, Aubrey waits, as if afraid I will scold her for her misbehavior.

"Go ahead Aubrey, have fun sweetie." I chuckle quietly as Aubrey speeds away with Melissa, a joyful bounce in her toddler steps.

Once again I thank my lucky stars that I have found Melissa. We met when we both needed a friend. I remember being six months pregnant with Aubrey, walking along the alley during the early hours of the morning. The diner had just accepted me as a worker, but being new, I was stuck with the late shifts.