Bonus Scene

"I want to show you something," Morpheus said, "but I need access to your mind."

Julien's hands squeezed his as they swayed on the roof of the car. "It's important?"

"No. But I see how carefully you chose everything and I didn't bring a thing."

"You brought yourself." Julien lifted their hands chest-level.

"But I could show you more," Morpheus said as Julien's arms draped over his shoulders.

"OK."

"OK?"

Julien stepped closer. "I trust you."

Morpheus shut his eyes to better focus his other senses. One by one he acknowledged them: the dreamy synth music over distant traffic; the grain of Julien's jacket beneath his fingertips; pine, smog, and woody-floral designer fragrance; the warmth where their bodies sheltered each other from the night; the rumble of the car beneath them and the slow turn of their dance.

And then Julien's consciousness: awake and receptive. No walls up.

With a light psychic touch, Morpheus altered Julien's perception.

"Where are we?"

Morpheus opened his eyes and shared in the vision. "Same place." They were still standing atop the old white muscle car, but the space around them appeared transformed into a vast party hall. "You're seeing a shared waking dream."

"We're dream-sharing!" Julien's hands clutched at Morpheus. "You made all this?"

The room turned and shifted about them, the car now upon a turntable beneath a disco ball that cast bright points of light down upon them. The music no longer seemed to come from within the car but all around them. "We made it. It's everything either of us ever dreamed prom might be."

The Hollywood Hills had shifted to a broad interior space framed by white columns and tall draperies, all strung with lights and tinsel. The grid of the Los Angeles basin still glowed beyond an expanse of glass. Their hall had higher and lower stages, dining tables, dance floor, and banks of cyan and magenta lighting.

Julien took a step back, taking his hands from Morpheus. "Let's go."

Julien sat on the edge of the roof, then hopped to the floor of the turntable. His jacket changed as he dropped, the silver fabric replaced by a rosy floral print.

Morpheus extended his wings and shifted his exostructure to exchange the 80s attire for an updated black tux; his included a kilt and biker boots. He leapt, spread his wings, and landed on the floor below the turntable.

Morpheus heard Julien step down, but when he turned to look, Julien was taller than he expected. Then he noticed the roller skates.

They were on his feet then, too, though Morpheus hadn't consciously shifted. It was the dream.

Julien extended a hand and Morpheus took it. He was shaky on the skates, but Julien proved able to tow him while skating backwards.

"How do you do that?"

Julien grinned, baring fangs. "This was what we did for fun when I was a kid."

"Go for a drive. Skate. Go to dances."

"Yeah, only now, it's like you were there."

---

The above scene is also 500 words. It's possible the existence of this scene itself disqualifies the entire work. I honestly don't know how they do the count. Multiple submissions are allowed, as separate entries, apparently, but I don't know how the rules apply to whether they are in separate 'books' or 'chapters' or not. It may be that this scene interferes with the ability to judge the previous one. It may be they just stop reading at first 500 words. I don't know.

image media top: My screen capture of a JF J.Ferrar Floral Super Slim Fit Stretch Tuxedo Jacket in burgundy rose, which one can find in the JC Penney Prom Shop.

video media top: Olivia Newton-John "Magic"