love, lust, and snogging {3}

I didn't have anything to do today so umm.... here is this!!! :) have a lovely weekend. I apologize for any errors I'll fix them tomorrow!

please comment and vote 💗💘💞❤️🤪

|||

Daisy's headphones were broken.

She had stashed them into her suitcase so carelessly the day she left that the wire had gotten all fucked up. So now she was sitting with her hot chocolate and warm bagel and a copy of The Picture of Dorian Gray in her lap, and a pair of headphones she couldn't even use. She sighed, putting them over her ears anyway, because at least then she could pretend she had some music to listen to.

The other night had ended in her watching the boy she had mistakenly assaulted disappear into the rain. Luckily Nana hadn't waken up until Daisy had finished making dinner ("how long was I out for, bonita?"), and the incident was never mentioned between the two of them. Daisy went to sleep thinking of the image of him standing there in the kitchen, looking at the floor with his forehead wet and furrowed, and a bloody rag against his lip. She couldn't get it out of her head. She couldn't sleep, a familiar difficulty for her, and ended up just giving up on the whole thing and slipping on a big t-shirt as she slipped out of bed, grabbing her paintbrush and a blank canvas from her suitcase...

"Nana, do you have a boy who comes and gardens for you?"

Daisy finally asked about it a few mornings later while chewing on a piece of breakfast toast. She didn't know why she had taken so long to ask.

"You mean that Harry boy?" her grandmother was sipping on her coffee, not an ounce of suspicion on her wrinkled face.

"Harry?" Daisy swallowed and patted her mouth with a napkin.

"Yes, Harry. He's a good boy. He cuts the weeds around all the petunias and hydrangea. He used to live in the house next door when he was younger, so I gave him a bit of spending money one day to help me in the garden. He just sort of.. kept doing it after that. He doesn't even live there anymore."

That had been yesterday. Today, Daisy had decided to tuck any thoughts of Harry away for the time being, and instead dive into the words of Oscar Wilde while sitting in the small cafe she'd found. Except now her headphones were broken and her bagel was getting cold after how long she'd spent trying to fix the wire on them, and it seemed like the relaxing morning she had hoped for was slipping from her fingertips.

"Daisy?"

She blinked. Looking up from her book, she was met with a familiar warmth when she saw a pair of brown eyes. "Zayn!" she smiled, laughing, and her face lighting up. She probably seemed too excited to see someone she had only met once, but when you're living in a small town with no one you know, then you start to miss having actual friends.

"I told you this town is fucking small," he chuckled just as she slipped the broken headphones down from over her ears. "You're going to start running into people you know everywhere you go."

"Well, so far you're the only one I really know," she told him, and it wasn't far from the truth.

It was weird how when she was living with her family, she thought there was no way she wouldn't enjoy getting away from them. It had only been ten days now, and Daisy found herself not enjoying it as much as she'd hoped. She was starting to miss the way that her little sister would screech her name in that shrilly voice of hers and come sprinting down the stairs to show her whatever new thing she was fascinated in for the day. And she sort of maybe missed the way her mom would snap at her to take her boots off before coming in the house so not to bring in mud. And she could have possibly even missed her brother's burping in her face at the table because her mother insisted they sit next to each other no matter how many times Matthew decided to do something beyond gross.