loss of innocence, but in a bad way (chapter 4) // delicate (chapter 5)

"Hermione, please, just leave him be."

"No, Ron — it's been two months. Two months, for Merlin's sake! Two months without proper meals, proper interaction with people. He's been skipping class for two months, too!"

"Dumbledore understands—"

"Dumbledore understands! Of course he does! Yes, let's leave it all to that airheaded headmaster who put Harry and Cedric in danger two months ago, who would drown Fleur's little sister in the Black Lake for entertainment, who doesn't seem to put more defence forces at Hogwarts to prevent Voldemort for ever coming in contact with Harry or any other student in this school again!"

Ron was silent. He had nothing to say because he knew that Hermione was right. He rubbed his arm and Hermione walked into the boys' dormitory to find Harry.

She knocked gently on the door. "Harry? Harry, it's Hermione." No response. She carefully opened the door as she peeked through — Harry was sitting on his bed, head bowed down. Still in the same position as ever.

Hermione walked over to him, sitting on his bed. "You're tired of me trying to get you out of here, I know." She awaited a response, but she knew she wasn't going to get anything out of him. "It's just that I'm worried for you, Harry. Things are bad."

There was no movement in Harry except for his consistent breathing pattern. Hermione sighed. "Harry, it has been two months. You haven't left your room other than to go to the toilet. Even for meals you don't go out. Either Ron or me has to bring it to you — you don't even finish the whole meal."

It was hard for her to work with it. "I don't know what else to say, Harry," she said, touching his hand, in hopes he would react. "I just hope you'll be fine." And so she stood up and exited the room. Like everyday, for the past two months. Trying to talk him out of it, but it never worked. Ron stood in the common room, crossing his arms — from the look on Hermione's face, he already knew she failed.

"Give him time," he said.

"Time?" Hermione scoffed, wiping away the tears that were about to roll down her face. "Isn't two months more than long enough? Ron, we've— we've completely lost him, Ron."

Ron grabbed Hermione by her shoulders. "Don't say that. Don't." He let go of her and walked towards his room. It was his turn now.

He closed the door behind him and sat on his own bed, across Harry's. Harry hadn't left the position from before — his head still hung low, him staring at his blankets. "You're still thinking about him?" Ron asked. He realized it was inappropriate for this situation and cleared his throat. "Uh, sorry I'm bothering you. Hermione's just... really upset. She's— scared, I— I don't want her to feel scared, Harry."

Ron sighed when Harry didn't respond. "Yeah, I know I'm usually the one who talks most. But right now, I really wish that'd turn around, though." He smiled at Harry, but it soon faded when Harry still didn't budge. "Are you mad at me?"

His eyes widened when he heard a loud sigh from Harry — he raised his head so that he looked straight forward. Harry gulped. Then he turned his head to the Weasley. "I'm not."

"Y-You—" Ron cleared his throat again. "Well, good then. Err... then, why haven't you left this room for two months?"

Harry furrowed his eyebrows. "Questions like these have very obvious answers, Ron."

The ginger let go of his breath. Although he was glad Harry was talking, his tone and his answers were still off. But Ron didn't take it for granted — instead, he smiled and swung a little bit from left to right on his bed. "So, you're gonna... uh, have dinner in the Great Hall this evening?"