Chapter 28: Ho' Do You Feel, Love?

By Jen Joyce

On the last chapter of: "Roses and Ferns", and the third chapter of the "Old Wounds, New Friends" Arc

Carol, K.O., and Fern managed to get to Rosa-Tracheophyta Manor without anyone noticing, while also making small talk on the way over there. Fern was initially worried about how Carol and K.O. would react to how she's living in an old -- said to be just a myth -- manor and the chance that she might have to be taken away from the only thing that's closest to a home that she has. Once they arrive, Carol and K.O. are surprised at first, but say that they aren't disappointed for Fern living there. Raymond then comes in, and that's where we left off at. What's the plan Fern has? Will it work? Will we get never-before-seen character interaction that we haven't seen on the show? Well, just keep reading, and you'll find out!

   "Since Rosa-Tracheophyta Manor is approximately one thousand and two hundred arcs big, Darrell, Shannon, Jethro, and Mikayla are most likely not going to come through the front door, we'll have to set up traps at every possible entranceway."

   These were the words that Fern said about half an hour ago. After going inside and reaching the living room, Fern explained her plan to everyone, contributed as to how to trap each of Raymond's siblings -- and Raymond spilling a few secrets about each of them -- all of them began setting the plan into action.

   First, all of the broken windows in the manor are being replaced with kinetic energy absorbent glass; Fern meant to do it a month or so back and had a lot of planes of the absorbent glass lying in her closet, but didn't get to it, since Raymond broke in the night she was going to start. It was surprisingly easy to do, so they managed to do it within fifteen minutes.

   Currently, all four of them were split up into teams of two, Carol with Raymond, and Fern with K.O. As much as Raymond didn't want to be paired up with someone other than his beloved, he decided not to complain about it and just went along with it. Fern and K.O. were setting up some laser net launchers for when one or all of them got through the windows. Raymond and Carol were on the second floor, setting up snares near the windows of the hallway and temporal laser blasters just above the spot where the snares' field of reach ends.

   The atmosphere between Carol and Raymond was...awkward, to say the least. Carol was feeling uneasy about being within punching range of Raymond, and vice versa. Both would take quick glances at each other before returning back to what they were doing, which only made things even more awkward. Raymond had his elbow and shoulder spikes tucked away in his robotic body, so he didn't accidentally cut the rope holding the blasters up.

   "So..." Carol began, catching Raymond's attention.

   "Hm?" Raymond looked down to Carol, who was only a few feet underneath where he was about to finish setting up the cage.

   "How...uh, have you been, lately?" Carol finally asked after a moment of hesitation.

   "Oh, uh, alright? I suppose?" "O-Okay! That's great!" Carol spoke-yelled a little too loudly. Raymond blinked a few times, having been caught off-guard by the sheer volume of Carol's voice; Carol only looked down to the floor, worried that she messed up.

   Once again, the silence settled in, only the sounds of them working filling in for what would be their mouths moving, making words and sounds to the bodies belonging to said mouths; the sounds and words being directed towards the other. (Small A/N: In case you couldn't tell, that's a description of what talking is.)

   "Hey," Carol looked up, seeing Raymond looking down at her, literally. "You're K.O.'s parent, correct?" Carol nodded.

   "I-I'm his mother." Carol clarified. "Why...do you ask?" Raymond shrugged, tightening the rope holding up the laser blaster.