I-I didn't forget...

Okay what I mean is, I tried not to.

Here is a fun little thing I forgot to post yesterday.

It takes place over the summer when Stephanie, Ryan, and Emily are going into either seventh or eighth grade:

"Happy Birthday!" Ryan beamed, tying the blue ribbon carefully into Stephanie's soft brown hair.

"I love it!" She replied, hugging him as though it was the best gift she'd ever received.

She quickly ran to her bathroom to check her reflection, catching small glimpses of blue behind her curls as she turned her head.

Emily laughed at her friend. "Here, I'll take a picture." She took out her phone as Stephanie smiled to herself in the mirror.

Ryan smiled shyly. He could hardly believe such a small gift would make her so happy.

"It's beautiful," she breathed, staring into Emily's phone at her own hair. Maybe she was exaggerating a bit, but it felt so nice to have something so unique.

The ribbon had small fake diamonds sewn onto its ends. They reflected light beautifully.

Stephanie loved wearing that ribbon.

Oh boy, did she used to...

(6 months later)

"I trusted you," she whispered into the falling snowflakes.

Ryan, standing straight across from her, looked remorsefully down at the snow they both tread on.

She untied the ribbon from her hair. "You betrayed me."

He wanted to say something, *anything*, but his voice refused to work for him.

She pulled the ribbon loose and let it catch the frigid air, flowing softly onto the ground.

She gave it up.

She gave *him* up.