SIX

SIX:
I'LL BE BACK BEFORE IT'S TIME FOR SUNNY-DOWN

SIX:I'LL BE BACK BEFORE IT'S TIME FOR SUNNY-DOWN

Maeve
1972

Against all odds, the band put out an album. The title being the band itself. It was beautiful. Complex. Experimental. Not many others thought so though. Against all odds again, the band put out a second album. Titled after the band, but a second version. Queen II. This one was better. People started paying attention and the band took off in the UK. People were starting to love them, just like I had.

We were all invited to Freddie's home to meet his family. John, Brian, Mary, and Myself. We were all excited to meet the parents of such a flamboyant, original man. I leaned back on the bed, running my fingers through my curled, brown hair. My legs swayed back and forth. I heard noises, someone stepping into the room. I looked up just enough to see Roger standing in front of a mirror, adjusting his jacket. I laid back down on the bed. "What do you think?" I didn't answer. I felt resentful towards him. I knew there was nothing between us. I wasn't trying to make sure that there would be. When he was cuddled up with that woman on the sofa, that was only the beginning. That one stuck around and got closer and closer to Roger. Why should I even care? I don't. I don't. "Maeve."

I sat up, propping myself up on my elbows and forearms. I cocked my head, looking him up and down, then up and down again. He looked good. "You look fine." I laid back down on the bed.

"What's got your panties in a twist?" He teased, sitting down on the bed beside me. I shot up back to my previous position.

"Don't talk about my panties." My hand swung against his chest, harder than I had meant to. Oh well, he deserved it anyway. I stood up and took my turn in the mirror. I tied the string up right around my palazzo pants and threw on a denim jacket over my blouse.

"Can I talk about your outfit, then?" He said, standing up from my bed and standing behind me. I felt chills travel down my spine, but I didn't let it show. "You look stunning." He said in a soft voice. I pressed my lips together, looking at him in the reflection. He can't do that to me. "Even if I look fine." He said with a smirk. I wanted nothing more than for him to pull my close to him and wrap his arms around my waist.

"Well, I'm sure Dominique will find you truly stunning." I walked away from the mirror, snatching my sunglasses from the bureau and heading into the living room.

"Hello, Maeve. You look nice." John said, looking up from his newspaper. I smiled softly at him. John was always so sweet to me. I walked over and sat on the arm of his chair.

"You look nice, yourself." I replied to him. He folded up his paper and placed it on the coffee table beside his tea.

"Are we ready, everybody?" Freddie said, entering the room. The five of us all lived together. It was a tight squeeze. We turned the dining room into Freddie's room and the loft into Brian's. John and Roger insisted I get the largest bedroom, no matter how much I resisted. "Now, behave in front of my parents."

"What do you mean by behave?" Roger asked in a cold voice, standing in the doorway of my bedroom. He looked over at John and I before looking back at Fred.

"In your case, don't be yourself, dear." Freddie said, making his way to a chair to put on his shoes. "John and Maeve on the other hand, be yourselves. You two are delightful." John smiled a toothy grin while I tossed my hair back dramatically.

"What about myself?" Brian asked, showing his outfit off to everyone. Down to the clogs, of course.

"You're good enough." Freddie sighed, grabbing his jacket from the floor and he threw it on quickly. "Mary's on her way. The two of us will go together, the rest of you can take another car and just follow us there. Deal? Deal." We all looked around at each other as Freddie peered out the window. "Wonderful! She's here! Let's go, dears!" He clapped his hands together before opening the front door.

   The lot is us headed towards the door and out to the car. Brian insisted on driving and Deaky stole the passenger seat before I even got the chance, leaving Roger and I in the back by ourselves. Roger went around the other side of the car, stepping in as I got in on my side. I looked over at him. He didn't look thrilled and put on his sunglasses before looking out the window the whole time. "Dominique and the girls will meet us there." Roger said, looking over at me. I felt my body tense up as he looked back out the window.

   I was surprised at how quick the ride was, fifteen minutes at most I'd guess. Deaky got my door for me, allowing me to step out. I looked over across the car to see Roger staring at me. I didn't understand him. He seemed interested, but he always was around Dominique, which I couldn't understand. Men were so complicated. "I can't believe we're about to meet your parents, Freddie." I said as we all made our way over to the door.

   "Yeah." He said in small voice, scratching the back of his neck. His voice lacked its natural confidence, which was strange to me, and Brian too. I could tell by the expression on his face. Freddie hit the doorbell and almost instantly a young woman was standing in front of the door. "Kash." He beamed, hugging the girl. We all made our way into the house, greeting each other. Every time I'd look around the room, Roger would be looking over at me. What was his deal? He had her on his arm anyway. I just wanted to forget about... whatever was going on with us and focus on a nice lunch. Good luck to me.