Apologies

"I don't want your apology!" Anne screamed, storming down the path.
"What do you want then?!" Gilbert yelled, running after her, his hands in the air.
Anne turned to him, her cheeks bright with the cold, hair vibrant and beautiful. She hesitated and Gilbert opened his mouth to ask her again, but she took a step forward and with the utmost deliberation, placed her lips onto his. He closed his eyes and as his arms went around her, he felt her small, cold hand against his cheek. His hand on the small of her back, he kissed her back gently.
She broke away from him after a second longer, and ran down the path. Gilbert stood there, stunned and watched her run away. After a minute, he began chasing after her and a few seconds later, found her scarf lying on the path in front of him.
He felt a wetness on his cheek and looked up to the sky to see that it was raining. He thought of Anne and how far they were from her house. He began to run even faster, and after a while, saw her in the distance. She was sitting on a log, underneath a maple tree.
"Anne!" he panted, running up to her.
She looked up at him, and he saw not only raindrops but tears on her face. He sat down on the log beside her and wrapped her scarf around her shoulders.
Putting his arm around her, he asked, "What's the matter, Anne?"
She leaned her head on his shoulder and he felt her shoulders shake. They sat there for a few moments, Anne crying into Gilbert's chest, Gilbert holding her close in the pouring rain.
"I just...d-d-don't know why-" she spluttered. "-we have to fight over silly things like that."
Gilbert sighed and squeezed her tighter. "Anne, look at me," he said, tilting her chin towards his face.
She raised her head and he looked into her eyes as their lips met. She pulled away from him after a few seconds, giggling.
"What?" asked Gilbert, smiling but confused.
"I was crying over a stupid spelling bee," Anne laughed, jumping up and twirling in the rain. She tilted her head towards the sky and opened her mouth to catch the raindrops.
"Gilbert!" she called, smiling. "Come with me." Gilbert stood and they ran down the path in the pouring rain, their hands intertwined in each other's, and their faces tilted up towards the floodgates of heaven.