0 . 1 2

| R I G H T  N E X T  T O  Y O U |
+
0 . 1 2

     "Hey

"Hey."

"Hey."

The mere greetings felt awkward, but Joseph knew he needed a reason to speak to Lark. It was something he couldn't explain, something he couldn't directly voice, so, he let his head do all of the talking.

Even if it made absolutely no sense.

"Bobby And Troy saw you, but I, uh—I made sure they didn't do anything crazy." What was Joseph looking for? A thank you? A hug? That made him smile, a hug would be nice.

"Thanks," Lark was grateful. The last thing he needed was Bobby Stinger pushing him into a bush. "I hate those guys."

Me, too, Joseph wanted to say, but only let out a puff of air through his nose. Maybe the two could be friends? Maybe the two could be the best of friends, without telling anyone about it?

Would Lark ever go for something like that?

Lark's breath was unsteady, as he swallowed audibly. "I don't want to go home."

"I don't want to go home, either." Lark laughed at this, his chest shaking in laughter at the tension in the air.

"Then, let's not go home." The words sounded like heaven on earth, even Joseph couldn't deny it. Then, he'd gotten an idea. An idea that was bound to bring the two of them closer—as friends. He, Bobby, and Troy had been going to Montgomery's cemetery since they'd met.

     And coincidentally—it was always empty, and Joseph was sure it was due to the locals respect for the dead. But something Bobby Stinger definitely didn't carry.

     Joseph began walking, and soon, Lark was following suit, while making absolute sure that he was at he was at least one foot away from Joseph.

     While walking, their fingers grazed each other, making the boy's' breaths hitch in between. Once they finally arrived at a dark, ajar gate that read, The Montgomery Cemetery, Lark's mouth fell open.

     "O-Oh, Jo—"

     "Sh," Joseph whispered, teasingly. "The spirits'll hear you."

     As Joseph pushed the gate open a bit more, he allowed Lark to move through before him, making sure that Lark was in front of him as they made way. There were dozens of tombstones lined along beside each other.

     And Lark couldn't help but to be afraid. That's what the entire night seemed to be filled with—fear.

     Joseph found a tree, plopping down, before patting a spot beside him. "Sit."

     But Lark didn't sit, he lied. Right beside Joseph, who shrugged to himself, before doing the same. They were lying down together. The mere realization made Lark's breathing exhilarate.

     The two gazed through lines of stars, that portrayed themselves to the two, while their hearts wouldn't recognize their efforts to slow them down. Why was Lark nervous? Why was Joseph nervous?

     Although, the reason was apparent, Joseph knew it would take him years to admit something of such.

     "Thank you for being kind to me." Lark whispered into the air, listening to the silence coming from Joseph's end of the newly brewed conversation.

     Then, Joseph's hand was being grabbed, and held onto. And surprisingly, he squeezed back. Lark's hand was warm, and safe. It felt so right, although, Joseph knew guys like Bobby Stinger thought it was wrong.

     Joseph turned to Lark, his lips left open ajar. Lark couldn't see Joseph staring to the left of him. "I don't actually like Patty Meyers," Lark whispered. "I can't like Patty Meyers."

     Joseph knew what he meant, but he only scooted closer, finally sitting up and leaning on an elbow, his face only several inches from Lark's. Lark sees this, and also leans up on his elbows, both hands clenched into fists at the intensity.

     At their closeness, Joseph took a deep breath, his air hitting Lark's nose. "I don't feel anything for Betty Lee."

     After Joseph's light whisper, he leant in. Lark is prepared for his first kiss, but is greeted with a light, prepped kiss on his nose. Joseph's lips linger for a few seconds, as Lark's flutter closed at the feeling pulling through him.

     The scene is vanilla to what Joseph is used to. To pushing people into locker, to kissing Betty Lee on the lips like he had seen his father do to his mother. But with Lark, it seems right, it seems right to treat him like a flower. So sweet and innocent.

     After the small kiss on Lark's nose, Joseph moves to his ear, whispering softly. "You're special to me."