17

Lilacw was in the garden of Thorne Mansion with Garland, who sat in the flower beds, digging holes and planting a seed in each before covering them back up.

Gardening was a relaxer for Garland. She was out in the garden from sunrise till sundown everyday, planting and tilling away. She plucked weeds to release anger, tilled a small patch of dirt to calm her down, and planted seeds to concentrate.

Now, watching the Spring faerie at work after months of watching, Lilac felt the need to comfort her. She walked over to the small faerie, whose back was turned to her. “G?” she said, kneeling next to her. Garland turned, wiping sweat off of her brow with a muddy hand, spreading the mud.

“Yes, Lili?” asked the small faerie. Lilace didn’t reply, but instead wrapped her arms around her, closing her eyes.

“You okay, Garland?” questioned the witch. Garland nodded, pulling back, green eyes bright. “Of course,” she replied. “Why?”

“Lately you’ve seemed distant and hard to reach, rarely talking. You spend all your time out here, alone.” Lilace said.

Garland busied herself by digging a small hole in the freshly tilled ground. “I-I just like it out here,” she whispered. The air around the faerie was tense.

“You’re lying.” Lilace observed. “Lying pains the Fae. Lying is like cold iron, deadly and bad for the magic of a faerie.”

Garland looked over, letting out a breath. “I found this in the lavender two months ago,” she said, taking a small scrap of yellow parchment from her shoe. She held it out to her.

Lilace took it between two fingers, flipping it over. On it in scratchy hands were three words: ‘This isn’t over.’ Lilac swallowed, hard, and handed the parchment back to Garland, who tucked it back in her black boot.

“Who sent it?” she demanded, hands curling into fists. “I don’t know, Lili. And that note is the reason why I’m always out here. I don’t want to face Jack with this information. He’ll go insane. He wants to protect you. And I seriously doubt that this note is for anyone but you. You were the reason you and Jack met, why Kiya is dead, why she is burned to ash like all criminals are.” Garland whispered, eyes frantically searching the courtyards.

Lilace’s heart was in her throat. “We need to tell Jack and the others. They need to know.” she said, standing. Mud stained her pants and shoes.

Groaning, Garland followed her up. “Sounds good,” she grumbled sarcastically.

Π.

Once Garland had told the others about the small note, the air grew chilly. Jack stood next to Lilace, hands fisted at his sides. Thin ice crackles under his feet.

She turned to him, putting her hands on his arms. “Jack, calm down. I can leave, go back to the mortal world. I’ll be safe there.” she mumbled, focussing her eyes on his shirt.

“If you go, I go.” he told her softly. She met his gaze, nodding. “Alright,” she said, pressing her cheek against his shoulder.

“But, Jack, it’s against the Council to leave without permission.” Neya said. “I’m not part of the Council, not will I ever be. I’m now a rebel fae. I turned my back in the Winter Court, never to return.” Jack replied, holding Lilac.

“Fine. But if two her caught, we’ll all be in hot water.” the Elder witch sighed. “Do what you want. But I advise you, Jack Frost, to be careful. You too, Lilac. Being a witch in the mortal.world is a living nightmare. Monsters are out there, wanting your powers for themselves. Jack, if she needs help, help her.”

Jack nodded. “I will. But first we need to pack.”

Lilace began to pull away, but Jack stopped her. “Relax, I’ve got it.” he murmured. He let her go, walking out of the room.

“Lili, please don’t go.” Maliki begged, gold eyes sad behind his glasses. “I beg you.”

Lilace shook her head. “I can’t.” she said. “I’m not safe here. Jack is the only one who can protect and is committed to me. I feel safe with him.”

Blade grumbled something under her breath in Dark Fae language.

“If you’re going to leave soon, I want you to have something.” Blade said. She reached into her tall boot and pulled something out. A long silver dagger glinted in the sunlight. She handed the blade over to Lilace, who held it between two hands.

“Thanks,” she said, shoving it into her boot. It was hidden well.

Jack opened the door, waiting.

“This isn’t goodbye.” Lilace told them, before walking out to join Jack.