First Morning - III

Getting past Viktoria once again was an easy task, no big deal.

Getting past Viktoria with a weak heart and an old lover was slightly challenging, but Viktor knew he could handle it.

As the pair made their way past the kitchen, he could hear her clanging dishes together with hot water running, as any other person would do. However, before they could make it to the base of the steps, she had made a request.

A quite simple request, honestly. Wouldn't seem out the blue to anyone.

"Viktor, could you bring down the jam?"

Yet, at those very words, Viktor knew he would be in deep shit.

"J-jam?" he asked, his voice cracking unintentionally. "Fuck," he muttered, glancing up at Ruby. The dark-eyed boy smirked at his slip up, a chuckle escaping his lips.

Fuck.

"Yes, jam."

"I'll start the water, then," Ruby said, making his way up the stairs. Viktor stared up at him as he left, on the verge of collapsing. Too much was happening at once, too many emotions, secret meanings. Were they moving too fast? Should he speak up?

"Viktor."

"Coming!"

As he entered the kitchen, Viktoria was leaning against the counter with her arms folded. As soon as she saw her brother stumble— yes, stumble— into the kitchen, her suspicions were confirmed.

"Viktor."

"Yes."

Viktor carefully avoided eye contact with his twin, letting his eyes wander around the room. Anywhere but her piercing blue orbs.

"Are you feeling okay?" she asked, the question holding more bitterness than concern.

"Of course. Why would you think otherwise?" he replied. The sound of water running through the pipes caused both of them to glance upwards, but Viktor quickly snapped his head down.

"So. You and Ruby."

Viktor coughed to cover his surprise.

"I'm unsure of what that statement means."

"You weren't going to tell me at all? I'm your sister, for crying out loud." Viktoria stepped towards her brother, who fought the strong urge to back away.

"It's not like I knew myself."

"How do you just forget about your best friend?"

Hm.

Did he hear her correctly?

"Best friend?"

"Don't play dumb," she scoffed, rolling here eyes. "Ruby told me all about how you guys were friends in high school during breakfast." Viktor hasn't realized he was holding his breath, but was relieved to breathe easy again.

"He also told me that he had a crush on me, and that he even told you about it! But, of course, you didn't want to tell your dear sister that a hot guy like Ruby was interested in me," Viktoria continued, huffing. "Some brother you are."

"Huh."

"'Huh?' That's all you have to say for yourself?"

"Oh," Viktor replied, coughing. Even with his sister staring him down, he was no longer nervous. Should he have been nervous in the first place? It's not like Viktoria was straight; however, he was quite unsure if she knew Viktor wasn't straight either.