05 - seduction

june 2016

"THANK YOU, GENTLEMEN," the asset smiled as the plane touched down and its engine died. "I rather enjoy our time together, don't you?" Standing up, she stepped out onto solid ground, taking a deep breath of fresh air. It was heavenly compared to the stuffiness in the plane that had kept her gasping for breath for several hours, making her wary of falling asleep. She'd tried to hide her discomfort from the guards; she was supposed to be invincible. But of course, even immortality had its setbacks.

As she looked around her, she took in her surroundings and surveyed the area. They'd landed on the top of a building, using the landing pad. She wasn't certain if it was another Hydra base in the United States, but either way, the pilot was currently talking to the security of the building, keeping the attention off of her.

One of the guards, a skinny one with a nearly bald head, followed behind her and held out a silver case. His arms were so thin, she was surprised he hadn't dropped it already.

She cocked an eyebrow. "What's this?"

"All of the supplies you'll be needing for the next two months," the man spoke, his voice strong and dull. "Including the appropriate attire for a bar. This is where you'll be meeting the target tonight." He inclined his head, wordlessly pointing at her clothes and disapproving of them all in the same movement.

The asset scoffed. "Fine, what'd you pick out for me?" Reaching for the case, she noted the speed with which the skinny guard removed his hand from it, wiping his hand on his pants as if he was contaminated. Upon opening the case, she was immediately greeted with a white cloth that looked too smooth to be anything but a cocktail dress.

She frowned, scowling. "A white dress? Boys," she chuckled cruelly, "I've mastered the art of seduction, but this is not how you gain the attention of a billionaire." She looked from the case to the men staring at her, hands gripping their loaded firearms. "I'm offended." Shrugging, she closed it and let it hang by her side. "Oh well, I'll find something else that'll do the job."

"No, you have been given direct orders—"

"Stand down, gentlemen," someone interrupted, stepping forward from the crowd. "As our strongest asset, I think 53 has allowed herself certain...leniencies."

She recognized the man who made himself known. It was one of the men who oversaw Hydra's cryofreeze research branch, working closely with Dean Thompson. He was donning a rather mismatched ensemble, navy blue pants with brown dress shoes, a black belt visible beneath the beige dress jacket he wore. It was the typical attire for a scientist. While his name was unbeknownst to the asset, she didn't need to know anything about him to feel the familiar surge of loyalty. Nodding in acknowledgment, she waited for him to continue.

The other guards, some of them obviously reluctant, stepped back and put their guns in their sheaths. When he was satisfied that no one would shoot anything, Hydra's most trusted scientist crossed his arms and turned to face the asset. "You may find clothing that is more suitable for your needs," he granted her permission. "Before you go, let me remind you of what is resting on your shoulders." He took a deep breath. "The extermination of Tony Stark is not just the beginning of the end for Earth's precious Avengers. It is the end of a mission that the Winter Soldier was unable to complete. You are finishing his business and carrying on with your own mission. Do you understand?"

"Oui, Monsieur."

He flinched upon hearing the French syllables but continued. "Your name is Jacqueline. If he asks what your last name is, tell him you grew up on the streets and didn't give yourself one. You will make Tony Stark rely on you so heavily that he trusts you with every secret. You will get so close to him that killing him will hurt more than anything he has ever felt."