A new beginning in Nuvema town!

Welcome to Unova! I am Professor Juniper; professional Pokémon researcher right here in the Unova region.

Now, I know you and your family are just settling in, but I have a request for you! Come to the lab on Wednesday, 10am tops! I have a little surprise for you.

- Aurea Juniper.

A surprise, huh?

I stared down at the letter curiously, reading it over for the umpteenth time to be absolutely certain I had it right while chewing on my lip. Today was Wednesday, 9.55am, and here I was standing outside the Pokémon research lab of Nuvema town, ready to see what kind of surprise awaited me.

I let out some air, my eyes glancing up to land on the wooden door leading to the lab where this Professor Juniper waited for me.

I wonder what they're like... I thought to myself. I hope they're nice...

"Hello?"

I almost jumped five feet in the air when an unexpected voice was heard from behind me, causing me to whip my head around to face where it came from "Yes! Hi! How are you?"

The person blinked in surprise, eyebrows raising as he pursed his lips together in a thin line. His arms were crossed over his chest, which along with his glasses made him look incredibly knowledgeable.

"I'm... just fine, thank you." He replied rather hesitantly, head tilted to the side "What were you doing?"

I laughed awkwardly. What was I doing? "Oh you know, just... chilling."

"Okay?"

"Haha, yeah..."

Oh my God I'm dumb...

We stood in a rather awkward silence for a moment, and I found myself scuffing my shoe against the dirt path beneath me.

Crap, I made things awkward. Say something to him, anything! It doesn't matter what just gET YOURSELF OUT OF THIS SILENCE!

"I'm Katrina, by the way." I piped up, which actually gained the boy's interest "Though, everyone just calls me Kat. I just moved here last week, of course I'm only saying that assuming you live in Nuvema too."

"I do." He confirmed "And I actually heard about you. You moved next to the White's, correct?" (Just pretend there's a house next to the protagonist's for this story)

"That's right." I nodded.

"Well, I'm Cheren. I live the house in front of yours." He introduced, pointing to a house at the very bottom of the town "It's a pleasure to meet you."

I nodded with a grin, happy to be talking with him normally at last "Likewise!"

He hummed, again, dropping his arms so his hands rested in the pockets of his blue jacket "Well, anyway I actually have to wait here for my friends so--"

"CHERENNNNN~!"

He sighed "Here she comes..."

From behind Cheren stampeded a flighty looking girl with a large green hat and a long skirt. She skidded to a halt, almost bumping foreheads with me hadn't I leaned away, before straightening up with a beaming grin that could rival the sun.

"I'm here~!" She sang as she turned to Cheren, hands behind her back "Sorry I'm late, Cherry, I just had some things to do at home!"

Cheren waved a hand in dismissal "It's fine, Bianca. Hilda's not even here, yet."