10

I slept fitfully that night, the wine buzzing in my veins sending me careening from one hazy dream to the next.
I dreamt of the body lying on the examination platform for all to see at the Jeffersonian, and two enormous blue eyes as hard and unyielding as twin diamonds drilling their gaze into my back.
I started suddenly.
I peered around. It looked and sounded like I was at the Destiny's Attic restaurant.
Sweets was sitting across from me, smiling easily, and the warm curve of his lips warmed my body.
He reached over and wrapped his hand around mine.
"You really must be relaxed here if you fell asleep," he chuckled.
I didn't flinch at the contact. It felt easy and comforting.
This isn't a dream?
I smiled at him and answered sheepishly, "I guess I'm just tired."
"Your usuals, lovebirds," said Angelo smoothly, and slid covered trays in front of us.
Sweets removed the lid and grinned at the...
Oh my god.
Two human eyeballs stared at me from the coils of spaghetti, rolling freely in the pasta like eye sockets.
I lifted the metal dome off my plate and suppressed a shriek as a decomposed skull lolled on my pizza. The jaw was dislocated, but like it was still alive, much like the eyes, the mandible cracked smoothly back into place.
"I know what happened, you know," it said matter-of-factly, a used, ashy voice ghosting the lipless mouth.
I stared in horror as Sweets tried to jab at the eyeballs rolling around in his spaghetti.
Oh my god oh my god oh my god.
"I know what happened!" shrieked the skull again, the browned and rotting flesh flapping as it jumped with the jaw as it rose and fell.
"I know!"
"Stop!" I cried, unable to move, let alone clap my hands over my ears.
"I know!"
The growing intensity of the shrieks grew and grew like a bubble ready to pop.
"I know what happened to you, Papillon," said Sweets.
Suddenly, the screaming was my own as I shot up in bed.
I grasped at the covers fearfully, my body slick with sweat. I cast a glance at the clock, and decided then and there that I needed a release.
***
I'd always found it difficult to run in the city, but with the gardens and open monuments in DC, it wasn't hard to find a good circuit to run, pounding my fears into the ground with every stride.
I found myself running around the Washington Monument and the pond for some time. I later realized that, when I again checked my watch afterwards, I'd been running since 4am. It was now 6.
***
Work was the last thing I wanted to do, but to immerse myself in more gore would probably take my mind off the disturbing dreams that had caused me to run until near collapse this morning.
"Morning," greeted Hodgins, wheeling past me with a mug of coffee.
"Hi," I yawned, unsuccessfully suppressing it.
"Ooh, late night, Pap?"
He waggled his eyebrows playfully.
"Not like that," I sighed. "I had some nightmares."
"Speaking of nightmares," interrupted Doctor Saroyan. "I've got one right here."
She produced a shattered skull that resembled a broken bottle on a tray.
"Trash compactor guy in your email, I'd assume?" said Hodgins, eyeing the remnants askance.
"Yep. Ms Antoine will have her work cut out for her this morning."
"Ms Antoine!" exclaimed Doctor Brennan. "I see you've already got the remains of the skull. I want that whole by the end of the day so Angela can make a reconstruction."
I sighed inwardly.
"Yes Doctor Brennan."