05 | year tens always get the worst teachers

I took seat next to Jacob, after Dianna had ran upstairs calling after my dad. Sadness washed over me. I felt a finger poke at my arm and turned towards it.

"You're really Thomas' daughter?! I thought you were lost or something."

I ignored him and turned away again.

"Hey, sorry about that." He said, again. "I'm Jacob." He held out his hand and I took it hesitantly.

"Thomas really does love you, you know. He would always talk about you while I was growing up. Can't understand why he went back upstairs. Don't you worry he'll probably be right down."

I smiled at him as thanks for his comforting words.

"So are you my half brother then?"

Jacob nodded "A bit of a scandal to my grandparents - they were very religious - but they accepted it as my mum's problem and now treat me like a broken kid or something."

Oh, poor Jacob and Dianna.

The tapping of heels came followed by my dad. He looked at me blankly and leaned against the sink. I gulped, not another awkward family moment.

"Mr Harvey, before you left I was introducing you or should I say reintroducing you to-"

"I know who my daughter is dammit." Dad snapped and then stood facing away from all of us. Matthew spite of being interrupted, shut his mouth firmly and looked at my dad. In the end dad mumbled sorry under his breath and conversation continued.

"Vanessa needs a place to stay and while her mother is happy to take her, it is usually advised that the child chooses provided both parents are willing."

"She needs to stay here. I mean, officer can she stay here." Dad said quickly.

Before Matthew could answer for me I said, "Yeah, that's fine. I'll just have to tell mum." Matthew nodded.

"You'll be okay here Vanessa?" I nodded. "Okay, well I best be going, I'll be back to check up on her tomorrow morning and run a few mandatory tests and ask a few questions, if that's okay."

"Yes, that's fine officer. And thank you for bringing her back." Matthew glanced at me one last time before exiting the house.

That night we ate dinner and then Dianna gave me an inflatable mattress, night wear and a few blankets. Dad didn't speak to me much that night. Nobody did. But I was fine with it, there wasn't much to say after so many years.

+++

I had woken up at 4am for no particular reason but chose to spend a few hours making myself look presentable.

It was weird. I never normally had to do this. It felt weird brushing my fingers through my hair and putting my old outfit back on.

When dad walked into the room he found me sitting on the mattress ready to be called downstairs. Matthew (along with Dianna and Jacob) was already downstairs when I got there with a steaming cup of coffee in one hand.

"Vanessa!" He said in a friendly voice. "Did you sleep alright?" I nodded smiling back at him.

We all exchanged pleasantries and then real conversation began.