26

-Carmen

"Happy birthday dear Ingrid, happy birthday to you!" We sang. Mrs. Stansfield walked out of the kitchen with a massive cake with lit candles on it. We whooped and hollered in excitement. Ingrid clapped loudly as she sat on Dayton's lap, singing happy birthday along with all of us.

"Blow out the candles sweety!" I said.

She took a deep breath in and blew all over the cake, the other kids groaned in disgust.

"Ewww!" They said.

Mrs. Stansfield gritted her teeth and mumbled something to them lowly, something I couldn't understand and then they all stopped.

Ingrid, being her goofy self stuck her tongue out at them.

It felt nice being at the table with these people, enjoying each other's company as we ate cake and spoke about our weeks. The kids were sent outside to play to enjoy themselves amidst all the toxicity going on.

"Carmen, do you remember Officer Nunez?" Mrs. Stansfield asked.

"Oh my god." Dayton groaned, he immediately face palmed. "Why are you bringing him up?"

I raised an eyebrow, "Yeah, I do actually. I remember meeting him at the station! Black hair? Cold stare? Really really tall?" I asked.

A small smile crept on her face, "Yeah. That's him." She verified, struggling to mask her smile.

I gasped, "Miss! You guys are thing?"
"They used to date in their teens, and she dumped him. Now look at her crawling back!" Dayton laughed.

She rolled her eyes, "Mind your business! Can't you see the are girls talking?" she snapped.

He raised his hands in surrender, "I'll be in my room then. I'll come out when you're gone." He shot back.

"I'll come out when you're gone!" I mocked. Her and I high-fived and giggled, Dayton stood their red faced. Embarrassed, he sped walked to his bedroom and closed his door.

"What a drama queen. Anyways, he's one hundred percent right. Markus Nunez and I used to date better for I met Phillip. This broke him and he wasn't so kind to me anymore, which I completely understood." she said.

"He was my first love, high school sweetheart. We really did love each other, but in my first year of medical school, I chose to break up with him because I couldn't keep up with my studies! He was madly in love with me and he didn't take it well at all, to make things worse, a year later I started dating Phillip. So, he was torn and in response he became cold."

I put my hand on her shoulder and consoled her. "Once be found out about our separation, he showed up at my hospital and surprised me with a bouquet of roses and a card. It read: DiMucci's Garden, July 30th, eight o'clock."

Her and I cheered together like little school girls hearing the latest gossip. I'm elated for her, after all she's been through with her ex-husband, a breath of fresh air is needed.

"Go change! Where going shopping, and it wouldn't feel right if you weren't beside me." She said kindly.

"Yes Ma'am!" I responded.

She groaned as she untied her tight bun, letting her silvery blonde hair down, "For the love of God, just call me Margaret."

"Yes— Margaret!" I stammered.

The both of us laughed. It felt nice to finally connect with a woman much older and wiser than me. In these few months, Mrs. Stansfield has been a better mother figure to me than My biological mother has been my entire life.