Chapter 1

Hardgreeves never cared about any of his adopted children, especially not the ones who had no powers. Out of the 8 of them, only six of them had powers. Number 4 and Number 8 were completely ordinary, or so Hardgreeves thought. Whilst he had no hope in Number 8, he believed strongly in Number 4 having abilities. 

That's why he did what he did.

When everyone was training, Hardgreeves tested on Number 4. Every conceivable method of 'testing' was used on the poor girl. He had to soundproof his secret rooms under the manor, just to stop her screams from reaching the children. Whilst he believed he was freeing her, helping her find her ability, she saw it as torture. Even after every shock of electricity, hallucinogen, or rock, she still didn't exhibit any powers.

Her father was about to give up all hope until, it happened. Hardgreeves was about to conduct his final experiment, like the mastermind he was, he had carefully constructed his plan, readying the chamber, tis would be the day. Number 4 screamed and kicked, tried everything she could to get her fathers grip off her arm, but she just couldn't get free. Shoving the nine year old girl into the room, he felt no remorse. This was his greatest gift to her, he was going to set her free. Number 4 cried and tried to get out of the room. But she couldn't, she wasn't strong enough. Crouching into a corner, she tried to slow her breathing, her heart beat was so loud and powerful she feared her father could hear it. Suddenly she felt cold, she could feel water lapping at her feet. Looking down, Number 4 could see the water, slowly rising, ready to swallow her. 

Hardgreeves ignored the pang of guilt that sparked in his heart, whilst many would see his expression as mask of pain, those who knew him saw the calculations running through his mind. Could this be a mistake, could he potentially kill her right now. Some would see him as honourable for wanting to save the world, his adoptees saw him as a monster. Number 4 saw him as her executor in that moment. 

Number 4 struggled to keep herself afloat, her breathing becoming more and more laboured. Se knew she didn't have long. Making her peace wit the world didn't feel like the best thin to do in her last few seconds, screaming her curses to the world however did. Who would have guessed that everything she had to say was directed at her supposed father. Whilst the room was meant to be soundproof, Hardgreeves could hear everything, only it wasn't heard wit his ears. He could hear every cry in his mind, all the pain she had ever felt, he could now feel. And somehow she knew. Number 4 could feel his mind, like putty in his hands. Picturing the command in her mind, she felt power. Suddenly her father was pressing the necessary buttons, and the water stopped.

Leaving that chamber, Number 4 emerged reborn. It turned out, she was just as powerful as her brothers and sister. 

A/N: First proper chapter, hope you like it