Three

Matt sat next to Alaïa on his couch, sipping a beer.

"Not once, but twice? And ya know we're both idiotic, dontcha?"

"I know, but he's a handsome man, ain't 'e? Your blonde boy ain't half bad either, is 'e?" Amelia replied.

"I'll admit that much, but they don' know we're who they're lookin' for. Innit fun to mess around, though..." Matt shook his head. "I was gonna talk to ya 'bout that. Can't be erry night. They'll notice if we plan on doin'... This... More. Maybe we'll strike randomly, yeah?" He asked. Alaïa nodded.

"Smart. Can't have 'em knowing. Did it take all nigh' ta think of that one?" She teased, grinning.

"Ah, woke up, thought 'e'd notice there wasn't a killin' last night. Then I thought, what if there ain't any some of the days he's alone as well?"

"Well, ain't a half bad plan. Gotta be careful though, don't we?"

"We already 'ad to. Now we jus' have more ta lose." Matt said. Amelia nodded in solemn agreement.

~~~

That night, and the next two, there were no killings. The night after that, there were four bodies found - Two with smashed in skulls and hearts ripped out, dumped by the quarry, two in their beds with cleanly slit throats and the teasing 'Goodnight' note.

Matt sat at the bar, watching the door. He smiled to himself slightly as he spotted the blonde detective walking in. Miles looked around, spotting Matt and walking over to him.

"Hi, Matt." He smiled.

"Detective." Matt nodded and caught the eye of the bartender. "Ricky, 'nother beer, for the detective 'ere, please." The bartender nodded, and quickly got Hartwell a beer, and Matt glanced at the door as Amelia walked in, Gabe's arm rested casually around her shoulder.

"Never thought ye'd let someone on your lass, Trigger. Didn't think she'd let anyone on 'er 'erself, with that fiery temper of 'ers." The bartender, Ricky, said.

"Ah, she got a specific type, she does." Matt joked. The bartender chuckled as Amelia and Gabe joined Matt and Miles.

"What can I do for you, lass?" The bartender asked Amelia.

"The usual, Ricky. For 'im, too." Amelia gestured to Drew.

"Comin' right up."

"We need to know if you knew the recent victims, Matthew, Amelia." Miles stated.

"Ah, not well. Seen 'em round sometimes. Seen 'em in here once or twice. Not regulars." Matt said.

"What about you, Amelia?" Miles asked.

"Like Matt. Didn' know 'em well. Seen 'em round sometimes." Amelia shrugged.

"You know, they been givin' the killers names, they have. In the papers." Ricky said, conversational as he often was, handing Amelia and Gabe their drinks. "One who slits the throats is the Shadow Killer. One 'o rips the hearts out is The Devil Incarnate. Paper thinks they're different people. I reckon so too. That many victims in one night... Haven't heard o' some'in' like this in years. I wasn' alive back then, but it reminds me of the Axeman, or The Ripper, or 'ell, maybe the Torso Murderer. I was a kid when tha' last one happened. You should be careful, Lass." Ricky winked.

"Ricky, ya know me. I can take care 'o myself." Amelia said. Ricky chuckled.

"Yeah, that's true. I remember when ya beat up the man who tried to feel ya up. 'Ol Trigger 'ere was anything but happy with that lad, isn' that right? Wen' off like a gun, true to 'is name." Ricky chuckled, before he turned his attention to another person who wanted to order a drink.