36. - Desistance

March 1488 - Windsor, England

Zayn moves quickly around the castle, trying to get to the wing where Harry's chambers are. He asks a Lady in passing if she knows anything about their baby but she said that not a single word has left Harry's chambers yet. Zayn's unsure whether that's a good sign or a bad one.

As he gets closer to Harry's chambers, there are more and more guards, those additional ones he had stationed there before he left for the battle. No one from Edric's followers has breached the castle's walls and that's incredible news. The guards in front of the door to Harry's bedroom, let him in without a word. Zayn then realizes that he's still wearing the bloody armour, although he has thrown off his gloves and washed the blood off his hands before coming inside.

Zayn hesitates for a moment with his hand on the door handle. He doesn't know why but there's a smidge of anxiety. So many things can go wrong in a situation like this and he wouldn't survive losing Harry or their child. But how can he know if he doesn't open the door?

He opens the door slowly, entering as quietly as he can. There is none of the ruckus around the room like there was before he left for the battle. Upon entering fully, he sees that there's only Harry in the room, with a baby in his arms that's squirming around. A huge weight falls off of Zayn's chest, seeing that both of them are alive and well.

Harry looks up at Zayn with a tired smile. "Hello. I am very happy to see you alive, love. How was the battle?"

"Hi," Zayn breathes out, a smile appearing on his face as he walks closer to the bed. "Edric is dead. Helen is taking the survivors in for interrogation. But I believe you have better news than I do."

"I guess so," Harry chuckles as Zayn sits on the side of the bed. "I do have someone for you to meet."

Harry shifts the baby in his arms, propping it up a little higher and Zayn finally sees their child's face. The baby is staring at him with wide blue eyes, the default colour for newborns. He reaches to touch the baby's hand and it grasps his finger in its tiny hand. Zayn's heart misses a beat at that, overwhelmed with the love he already feels for his child and his husband too. The baby is his blood and they came to be out of love, just as must of duty to the throne. But this little human will one day be powerful and strong and brilliant and Zayn can't wait to witness it.

"Hello, sweetheart," Zayn says quietly. "I am so glad to finally see you. You're so beautiful."

"Her name is Philippa," Harry says then. "She's been out in the world for less than an hour."

"She's wonderful," Zayn says as he watches his daughter calmly take in everything around her, his finger still in her grasp. "I am so happy you are both alright. I was terribly worried."

"I'm fine. We both are, aren't we, love?" Harry asks the baby and bends down to leave a fleeting kiss on the top of her head. "After you left she decided to stop taking her time and came out in no time, even though it felt like an eternity. The midwife said she is perfectly healthy and one of the most beautiful babies she's ever seen, which sounds about right. And you, mister, you need to take off that nasty armour before you can hold her."

"Of course," Zayn chuckles and leans over to kiss Harry shortly. "I love you so much and I'm infinitely grateful for our child. It was a sacrifice but you did great. I'm proud of you, love."

"I love you too," Harry replies. "While I do whinge a lot about everything, I forgot about all the hardships of the last months when I held Philippa for the first time. She's worth it. And I will make sure she will be the Queen after we die. No matter what it takes. Go on now. I'll wait for you and then I'm going to sleep for a day and whoever wakes me will lose their head. Unless it's Philippa."