-1-

"I promise will be fine, mum, and I'll text you right after school," I say my mum on phone. She acts so nervously and excited as always. The time my first day of primary school flashes in my mind but my mum takes it away.

"Mia, we're miles away but you know I will be there in few time if somethings go wrong. College is not like high school, at high school you.." she starts again and I roll my eyes. "Mum everything is OK right now but I will be late for my first class if you go on talking." I interrupt her. I hear she sighs and we both say our goodbyes. I take a deep breath and take my bag, take a look at myself in the mirror and walk out.

I've been staying in the dorms for a week and I still don't have a roommate. Actually, I'm happy to be alone. I can read my books and watch films easily. But the silence in the room sometimes scares me so I think of the person who's going to come often.

I take my bike and start riding. The dorms are on the same campus with the college but the campus is too big so I can be late if I walk. I feel the cold wind as I ride. London is not like California, here's cold and the biggest problem with London is this, in my opinion. I think of reminding myself to wear thicker tomorrow. I look around while riding. The first classes are easy to select because they look around like they need someone to help them. I'm second class but it's been two weeks since I came here so I'm a first class automatically. Glad I've brought so many books with me so I'll never get bored.

I lock my bike near the school and take my bag, walk to the school. Nearly ninety per cent of students are really white here so to be a little brunette seems different and takes people's eyes on me. Or that may be because I am new here. I speed up and get into the school, take a deep breath and look around. Wow. It's much more beautiful than I've ever imagined. People around with their books, teachers who seem stern and the new people like me. The building is awesome and I watch the colourful walls while I walk.

Then suddenly I crush someone and make a little scream sound. "Oh watch your way!" The girl with nice glasses says and bends down to put her papers together. "I am so sorry uh.." I mumble and bend down to help her. She puts her ponytail on her back and stays quiet. Puts all the papers together and finally talks. "You must be one of the first classes." Stands and looks at me. I stand too. "Actually I'm second but it's true that I'm new, yeah." She looks at me in a weird way for a second and pads her hand. "I'm Ashley." I smile and quickly shake hands with her. "Mia." She smiles back and starts walking, I follow.

"What's your lesson, do you know?" She says. I nod and put my phone out of the bag to check it. "It's.. maths," I say. "Great! Mine is maths to lets, go."

We get into a large class and sit in front of the teacher's desk. Everyone around knows one another and it makes me uncomfortable and miss my old school in California. I sigh and look at Ashley. She is a quite different and quiet person. She puts her book out of her bag and starts solving long maths problems. It's a bit weird on the first day of school but I don't mention it.

The teacher finally comes and starts the lesson. I didn't think he would start so fast so I didn't bring my notebook with me but he says that it's okay. While the class ends, the teacher calls me. "So, the new girl of our class, come and introduce yourself." I nod and stand up, walk to the board. I'm uncomfortable being in front of nearly forty eyes of twenty people. I hough and try to talk without stuttering. "I'm Mia.. uhm.. I came from California.." I stop talking and look at the teacher. I feel my cheeks flush. "Thank you Mia." says the teacher. I sigh with relief and while I walk to my desk, I hear a boy whistle. Turn my head there and I see some boys looking and laughing at me. I roll my eyes and sit. Unintentionally, I check my dress and neaten my hair. I feel terrible. A second after, I feel a hand on my leg and look at Ashley. She must've realised how uncomfortable I am and gives me a bright smile.

"They always do this. It's not your problem, calm down. You look beautiful." tries to relieve me. I smile and nod. The bell rings and I stand up. "Where can I get water?" I ask. She stands up and takes my arm. "Come on, let me take you to the canteen."

We start to walk to the canteen. I look around while walking, I want to ask something, start a conversation but as I see, Ashley is not a talkative person like me. So I keep the silence between us and follow her. "Here we are, " she says. I look around, at the tables, people.., and give money to buy water. When I turn around, I can't see Ashley by my side. I sigh and walk to my locker. I take my book and go outside to read it.

I find a tree and sit under it happily. I find the last page I read and start reading. I'm yet at the beginning of the story but it goes interesting.

"That's too boring." I hear a voice and leap. I turn my head to the voice and see a brown haired white boy. He smirks. I roll my eyes and turn back to my book. He sits my side and looks at the book. I look at him in a weird way, he goes on smirking. "Saying that it's really boring, don't even try to read." I close the book and turn to him. When I look at him carefully, I realise that he's one of the boys who laughed at me in the class. Wow.

"You really read books?" I roll my eyes. He sighs and laughs. "Nope, I watched the movie." I'm not surprised. I shake my head and stand up, start walking. I feel he stands up too. "Hey, you don't really know me?" He shouts. I speed my feet up and ignore him. I hear his feet steps and sigh. I don't really know him and I don't want to. I feel the shame the same as in the classroom. He goes on the following but I finally reach the building, sigh with relief. As I walk to my locker, I feel a hand grabbing my arm and I leap again. When I turn around, I see him again, with a weird look in his face.

"What are you doing?" He says a bit loud. What? What am I doing? He must be crazy or something. While I feel the soft pain in my arm, he grabs it too tight, I moan a bit and try to push my tears back inside. "Leave.. leave my arm it hurts!" I manage to say and he leaves it. He still looks at me madly and I really don't understand. "Who the hell are you leaving me there and walk away?" He says. I'm about to laugh so damn hard. Here I am talking to big ego machine as I understand. "Excuse me?" I ask and look at his face. He laughs angrily and looks around at the people who watch us carefully.

"What are you dudes looking at, huh?" He shouts and everyone immediately disperses. I roll my eyes and am about to walk away, he grabs my arm again and gets closer. "Don't you know me?" He says quietly but harshly. "How can I know you, sorry?" I say and look at his face." He steps back and looks at me from feet to head and laughs. "Oh yeah.. new girl." He says and I roll my eyes. I turn back and start walking, he stands in front of me. "I'm Andrew." He says and pads his hand, smiles. The difference between him now and he before two minutes gets me shocked. I stop for a sec and look at his hand. Then I remember the manner rules and shake hands with him. "..Mia.," I say. He smirks this time and walks away. What was that? I sigh and walk to my class.

After that weird moment, everything goes well till the end of the school and I take my bike, ride to dorms. Unfortunately, I didn't come across with Ashley in any classes, either. I felt alone but that's something I'm used to. I unlock my room and get in, I see a few bags on the other bed. I smile, that means I have a roommate finally. I change clothes and sit onto the bed, check my maths notebook. It's nothing like California, and much harder. So I have to work hard this year. I sigh and take my headphones, play the routine playlist. I start fighting with maths problems as always.

A girl walks into the room and looks at me. I smile and look at her. Her hair is wet so I deduce that she came from showers. "Hi! " I say with a little excitement. She looks at me, not smiling or something, "Hi," she mumbles and nearly snaps, walks to her bed. I sigh and feel my cheeks flush. I remind myself so as not to try to talk to her again.

She studies and reads her book all evening and stays quiet. I feel like I should try to talk or something but I stay quiet too because I don't want to be snapped again. I finish my study finally and take my phone to check the messages and realise that I didn't call my mum, she texted crazily. I want to call her but I see the girl sleeping so I text her that I'm fine and just was studying. I reply my other messages and turn my phone off. When I close my eyes, the boy called Andrew flashes in front of my eyes and goes immediately. Today was totally different for me and I really miss California. At least I had friends there. I knew everyone in my little village even if I haven't talked to each of them. I sigh and cuddle my blanket, try to sleep.