Chapter 1

I hated the dark. Whenever the eery emptiness of the night managed to sneak into the bedroom,I would always pray for the sunlight to shine through the large window and add hope to the atmosphere. Riley understood, he always understands my problems, I can tell him anything.

We've been engaged for over a month now,and the shining ring on my finger always managed to cause a smile to appear on my face. Yes,I'm only 20, but Riley is the one. He always made sure to leave at least a little bit of light on whilst we were in bed, he knows how scared I can get. The last time we were in the dark,that...thing...attacked us. As I stared at the ceiling all I could think about were it's horrible features. It was very large and had glowing,blood shot eyes. It's face was always hidden in the dark,but if I looked close enough I could see its sharp,yellowing fangs,ready to attack at any moment. It looked somewhat like a man,but at the same time it didn't. It's movement what like that of a bear; moving heavily on all fours until rising right infront of it's victim and...

That's when the baby kicked. As soon as our daughter's tiny feet scraped against the inside of my womb,all happiness was finally restored. I mean come on,I was going to be a mother in 16 weeks! Riley had begged me to name her Heidi - to be honest I quite like that name,so I agreed. I felt Riley's strong arms wrap around my body before he finally whispered to me.

"You need to get some sleep,Miss Rose,"

"Well I'm sorry,Mr Baker," I chuckled "But I can't sleep,"

I felt Riley's grip gently tighten as his soft lips pressed against my shoulders in an attempt to comfort me.

"Kaylee," Riley whispered "I promise,as long as I'm here,nothing is going to hurt you!"

I giggled at Riley's promise and whispered "Well what about Heidi?"

"Yes,Hunni," Riley laughed "And Heidi will be safe too,now get some well deserved sleep,baby,"