Part Twelve.

XII

"We will build our fortress and it will be impregnable. Nothing will be able to shake loose the stones cemented in place by our faith."

Sermon from the Project at Eden's Gate.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I had commanded it, I know that every last person would have followed me as far as Alaska, and even to the North Pole. But our promised land was in Montana, and after meandering through several states, our journey ended here in hope county.

The scene was marvellous.

A wide, lush valley with sparkling rivers lay before our eyes. The foothills of the Rocky Mountains lay in the distance. Deep forests flanked the valley, shielding it from the outside world. There were few roads leading in or out, making the site easier to defend. Sheltered in our bunkers, we could withstand a siege here, even against the rest of the world.

Everywhere barns, wind turbines, and windmills were evidence of the region's wealth of agriculture, and white churches steeples in the scattered towns appeared to be another promising source of recruits. There were even small airfields.

We had reached the end of our exodus, and we had been given a promised land that exceeded all our hopes and dreams. The last remaining humans will re-emerge from the hollows of this land. To all the generations that follow, this will be the land of their forefathers, the land of the first people.

The place was vast and yet nearly uninhabited. The land was fertile, the forests full of game, and the scenery magnificent but the winters were harsh and cities few and far between. Many people suffered from loneliness and left to seek happiness elsewhere. We, who had come from this elsewhere, could have told them that it was exceedingly rare to find happiness out there. It was a challenging land, made for pioneers, for the courageous and the confident. It was a land made for us- for our family.

It was the land of the Project at Eden's Gate.

We had no trouble settling down in Hope County. Thanks to John and his fortune, we acquired lands and farms without hassle. The locals were friendly. As we had imagined, they were used to the arrival of communities fleeing society and its vices. John quickly formed relationships with the political authorities of the valleys tows. In just a few months, he had become friendly with all the mayors, sheriffs, and important leaders. And in those few months, he found out all their dirty little secrets.

Humanity is the same everywhere. Even in this paradise, where everything speaks of virtue and devotion, people cheat one another, steal, lie, and give in to every conceivable sin to obtain power, glory, and riches. This world deserves to die a thousand times over.

 This world deserves to die a thousand times over