Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen (Kasper)

"Brother?"

Wh-What's happening? Is this some kind of joke? I couldn't even process a correct thought as the man stared at me, as if he were staring at a ghost that had suddenly emerged from a wall. At first, my instinct was to tell him that he was mistaken. He didn't look familiar at all. He was older than me, by at least eight years or so. He was stereotypically tall, dark, and handsome.

"Kasper, it's me, Urian." He said slowly this time, his voice deep and rumbling. As soon as he said his name, I knew that this man wasn't mistaken. He wasn't joking. He was serious. The man standing in front of me was my oldest brother, Urian. I didn't know what to say.

My tongue felt numb and my brain suddenly shut down from shock. I stood there like an idiot with my tray and the ruined strawberry tarts at my feet, staring at him as Gavin rose to his feet in alarm and Luka did the same.

"Kasper? Kasper, what's wrong?" He demanded, coming toward me. Hearing Gavin's voice in my head snapped me back to reality and I blinked a couple times, taking a step away from him.

"No." I managed. Urian frowned and started to speak, but the bakery door opened and another man came in. This man was closer to my age, his hair as black as mine and eyes as blue as mine. He was tall as well, wearing a nice black tank top to match his jeans, a jacket over his arm before he saw me, his eyes widening.

"Kasper! Urian was right, you were here!" He gasped, dropping his jacket and rushing over to me. I still felt stunned as he threw his arms around me, hugging me tightly and cradling my head as if I were a small child again.

I was so confused.

These people....

They were my brothers. I remembered them. I remembered the way they ignored me, unless they needed help with painting the doors or cooking. The brothers that stood there by my sister's bedside, crying as Kailie tipped closer and closer to death. The brothers that said nothing as Jack Runningwolf asked to keep her in exchange for healing her. The brothers that watched in silence as Jack took my hand instead, leading me away from them and my parents, who only turned their backs to cry over Kailie waking up for the first time since she fell ill.

My second brother, Talon, pulled away from me to study me, his eyes flickering over my face as he smiled before he looked at Urian, his smile melting when he saw Urian frowning at me.

"Kasper." Gavin stated, coming to my side to touch my shoulder, but I flinched and stepped back from everyone.

"I'm sorry. I'm afraid you have the wrong person." I heard myself say. Talon looked perplexed, staring at me in disbelief.

"No! That's impossible. You're Kasper, our brother. Don't you remember us?" He asked, stunned as I shook my head slowly and lowered myself to the floor, picking up what was left of the strawberry tarts as Victor's voice came into the room.

"Kasper! Petit ami! What happened out here?" He asked in surprise, making his way over to me as I scooped the rest of the ruined desserts onto the tray, rising to my feet and smiling at him apologetically.

"S-Sorry, Victor. I, uhm, lost my balance." I admitted, ignoring the way Talon, Urian, and Gavin stared at me. Victor frowned and seemed to immediately sense that something was amiss as he glanced at the others, then at me.

"Would you like to take your break now?" He asked. I blinked, then shook my head quickly.

"No, I just started--"

"Yes, he does need it." Gavin stated. Victor nodded and took the tray from me, ignoring my shocked look as he took it to the back, giving me my fitteen minute break. I watched him leave, then gritted my teeth and took a deep breath.