Chapter 5

Farida explained to Newt all about an old school friend of hers whose job description fitted that of an Auror as they waited at the Auror Station. The building was large and dome-shaped, with a very elegant interior that stood out despite how crowded it was at that time of day. The walls were a grayish-blue, and the high ceiling was less gray with tints of gold which made it sparkle slightly in the light that entered through the windows. Newt had the impression of being trapped in the placid sky of a fine morning.

As Newt looked around, he saw several statues depicting a woman with the head of a fierce-looking lioness standing in solemn grace with a spear in her hand. Farida told him that it was the goddess Sekhmet, a warrior and a protecter whose path the Egyptian Aurors were thought to follow. Newt did notice the similarity as he watched the Aurors come and go with their austere features and agile pace.

"Can I ask you something, Newt?" Farida said, awaking Newt from his contemplating trance. She had just returned from talking to the receptionist.

"Of course."

"Why do you take this suitcase with you wherever you go?"

"Because my creatures live in it," he answered. "I like to keep them with me."

Farida raised her eyebrows dubiously, and was about to speak, but a voice behind them caused her to stop and turn around. A woman of noticeable beauty was beaming at her. She was dressed in a navy-blue tunic which was belted in the middle, as well as white trousers and black shoes. That was the uniform of the Aurors, and Newt guessed that was the friend whom they were meant to see.

The Auror held out her hand, but Farida didn't shake it and merely gave a curt nod. The Auror pouted, but then said something in Arabic with a broad grin. Farida replied, but she looked as if all her patience was exhausted by that simple interaction. The Auror chuckled and nudged Farida's arm gently, then for some reason, she began to talk in French. Farida didn't look pleased with that, even though she responded without pausing and seemed fluent. Again, the Auror laughed, then her attention was suddenly brought to Newt as if she had just noticed him. She turned to Farida with a questioning expression.

"That's Mr Newt S— what was your last name again, Newt?" she said in English.

"Scamander," he said, somewhat diffidently.

"Nice to meet you, Mr Scamander," the Auror said in English. "I am Nabila Osman. Surely Didi told you about me?"

Newt thought that by Didi, she was referring to Farida. He glanced at Farida to make sure, only to see her roll her eyes and mutter something through gritted teeth. Newt turned to the Auror and said, "Yes, Farida told me that you could help us."

"But what sort of help do you need?" Nabila asked. Then on seeing Farida open her mouth to answer, she interrupted her with a wave of her hand. "No, Didi, I think we should talk at my office. And since when do you speak English? Apparently, I have missed much, haven't I? Now follow me," she added in a commanding tone.

With that she marched forward into a wide corridor, and Farida and Newt followed her in slow steps so that a considerable distance was separating them from her. Farida's face wore a grimace of stifled anger as she eyed Nabila's back, and Newt thought it was better to talk about something else.

"You speak French?"

"Yes, I learned it when I was young," said Farida. "It is a silly family thing. My father thinks it makes you a better person somehow if you can speak French. And so does her."

"Oh," replied Newt, unsure of what to say next.

"She's horrible, isn't she?" Farida added in contempt indicating Nabila. "As insufferable as a July sun."