2. Where It All Began!

Dedicated to 1234sorry12345 and StepStar904 for being such avid readers and supporters. I'm really grateful! Thank you!!! ❤️❤️❤️

****
Romero Estate. Italy.

A young woman quickly walked down the corridors of the Romero estate.

The sound of her steps which once brought joy and happiness to the old mansion, now seemed to echo ominously.

Her feet barely touched the floor for a second before she was taking another step, a sense of urgency to them as she finally broke into a run, no longer caring about subtlety.

Reaching her destination, the young woman banged harshly on the closed door, and continued to do so until it opened, revealing a man whom she held dear despite his inferior status.

"Cristina?!",Pietro exclaimed, surprised. "What are you doing here?"

Cristina Romero pushed past the man wordlessly, entering his room.

Pietro frowned, but followed her inside loyally.

"I think Rickard knows",she announced as soon as he had shut the door."Or he suspects at the very least"

"What makes you think so?",he questioned sharply. "Did something happen in my absence?''

Cristina started pacing.

"I don't know", she muttered in agitation. "It's just a feeling that I have...He's behaving so odd. He has started asking so many questions, about everything! And he wouldn't even let me leave the estate. I feel his guards watching and following me all the time"

"Rilassare", Pietro cautioned. "Keep your voice down"

"Well, I cannot keep my voice down because I'm worried that my brother will start a war with the man I love", she snapped loudly.

An unknown expression too fast for her to understand crossed Pietro's face.

"You're overthinking",he told her calmly.

"Master Rickard wouldn't have stayed silent if he knew. A war would have already been declared on those Irish. Moreover, my position as your guard would have been compromised. I would have been the first person to know as your brother would take great pleasure in torturing the life out of me for failing in my duty"

Cristina cringed.

"But I have received no summons by him", Pietro continued. "Nor do I have anyone on my tail"

She sighed.

"You're right. Maybe I'm overthinking. I've not had any contact with William from the past week and it's starting to make me anxious", she smiled at him nervously.

"Not even once?"

"No",she answered sitting at the edge of his bed. "It's the longest we've been without any contact. He usually tends to leave small messages when he's going to be away for a while. Maybe he's just busy"

"Of course, he's been very busy",Pietro muttered with underlying anger and bitterness.

Cristian frowned at his tone.

"You ought to leave now", he suggested. "I took the back entrance. No one knows that I've returned and I intend to keep it that way for a little longer"

Cristina stood, and for the first time glanced around the room properly, taking in the clothes, some documents, and even some newspapers along with his gun and knife set thrown in a small bag haphazardly.