xxi. six feet under

MISTAKES LIKE THIS
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE:
SIX FEET UNDER

‧ : *: ‧ °✧

“patri—”

her desperate cries of help are the last thing patrick hears before the line goes dead.

“what, y/n?” his eyebrows furrow and he sits up from his relaxed state, kicking the covers off of himself.

when he doesn't get anything in response but a low tone beeping, his heart rate picks up.

“lil’ bit?” he bites his chapped bottom lip, “y/n, baby? answer me. are you okay?”

patrick hears a rapid clicking coming from the phone, and then a sudden heavy breathing.

“no! let me go, let me go! 'trick, help!” the familiar panicked screams of his ex girlfriend cause the boy to shout her name, slamming the phone into the nightstand when once again the line goes dead.

“shit!” he growls, pacing back and forth, hands tugging at his dark truffs.

patrick hurriedly puts on some clothes, not caring that it's nearly four in the morning. all he could think of was y/n. the possibility of her being alone, scared, and hurt.

he slams his front door shut as he steps into the breezy atmosphere.

his long, pale fingers fidgeting with his father's car keys as he strolls to the beat up, dark green pickup truck.

the hockstetter boy doesn't waste anytime in putting the car in ignition and speeding out of the driveway, the screech of the rubber tire against the rode most surely waking up his neighbors.

throughout the entire ride to bowers’ house, his mind wanders. he wonders why the hell someone would want to hurt y/n, and who it is.

he questions why henry wasn't there to protect her, like he's supposed to. and then he asks himself why he wasn't there.

yes, they weren't necessarily on talking terms but what if—

the sound of a car horn honking snaps him out of his trance, and in a whip he's jerking the wheel so that he's back in his own lane.

before he knows it, he's there. his dark eyebrows furrow as he notices how naked the house looks, how eerie everything seems.

the front porch light flickers rapidly, the garage door is wide open but there are no cars in sight.

he steps out of the car with his heart pounding, somewhat afraid to see what's inside.

when he reaches the door, he finds it cracked open, and that only hightens his senses a ton more.

“henry?” he calls throughout the home as soon as he sets foot in it, surprised to see every single light on.

all he gets in response is an echo.

“y/n/n?” his voice is a little softer now, an empty feeling in the pit of his stomach.