~18

No fancy country club, that I made sure of

          No fancy country club, that I made sure of. That would ruin everything. It was even a risk taking him to some fancy place, knowing a fanciful life probably held bad memories. Golden platters he didn't want, polished floors he thought he'd stain. A life forced upon a boy who just wanted a childhood.

But I brought him to a diner just on the outskirts of town, surrounded by trees and secluded against the lake, a glimmering pond of moonlight beams. The diner was called Elton's Palace, a place of easy-going luxury. It was attended to by many old people enjoying the supplements of retirement. However, tonight they were graced by two boys pretending they fit in.

When we arrived, Noah was extremely skeptical, but overall enjoying himself. His questioning smile never faded as I opened the door for him and led him over to the entrance like his own personal chaperone. It was so, so foolish and immature, and we couldn't be having more fun.

The lady up front had a pleasant smile on her face. "Hi, welcome to Elton's. How many?"

"Two," I said, all posh.

She smiled and grabbed two menus with gold lining. Even the menus were fancy. "Right this way."

Noah wouldn't stop giving me looks as if to ask, "Are you serious?" And yes, I was completely serious. The room was filled with dimly lit tables, pleasant music you could fall asleep to in the right moment, and fairy lights beaming out onto the lake just outside the windows. It was everything I couldn't afford, and yet, here I was. Only for you, Maddison.

The lady, glamorous as the rest, seated us with a pearly white smile. She handed us the menus and a crystal pitcher of water. "We'll be right with you."

And she was gone to leave us to the fantastics of it all.

Noah immediately spoke up, hushed but dumbfounded, "What have you done? This is going to cost a fortune."

"Only a small one." I felt drunk in this spot, the best view in front of me, and the second-best outside the window. Everything was so perfect it was almost criminal.

"George—"

"Fawcett," I corrected, sipping my cucumber water with a pinky in the air. I couldn't stop grinning. "Tonight, Maddison, we go undercover, misfits to men of money. I couldn't ask for a better lie."

He leaned back in his chair, observing and simply that. It was an intense gaze, but so soft at the same time. "Why are you like this to me."

His tone broke my heart. I leaned forward, all serious. "Because I like you, Noah Maddison. I like you because you're a misfit. Screw the men of money."

People's conversations flowed freely through the room, a peaceful hum against the music. The group next to us seemed to be a couple, madly in love; men of money momentarily misfits. And behind us two women, old a grey. Happy and laughing. Best friends, lovers, strangers. Who knew what they were. Maybe all three.

"What a great way to lie." I sipped my drink dangerously happy.

Noah stopped questioning. His shoulder slumped in defeat and he embraced the luxury, the romance of it all. And we feasted.

At some point, I didn't know when, after we had stuffed ourselves on appetizers itself, Maddison was mistaken as Noah by a face that took him by surprise. "Noah?" she asked.