It Could Be Love

Chapter 2: It Could Be Love

"Steve," I hear someone say, "Steve!" Ugh it's Pony who's hollering my name. Steve, this! Steve, that! Ugh it's so annoying to hear the constant whining of my name.
"What?" I reply sitting up. A confused looking Ponyboy is sitting on the opposite end of the couch, hugging his knees and holding his—probably aching—head. The kid's gonna have a serious hangover.
"What...what happened? Last night?" He finally asks.
"Well you came back drunk and eventually you crawled on top of me while I was sleepin' but I was too tired to move you and fell back asleep. Man, and I thought you were pretty annoying sober."
Ponyboy's ears go red. He goes out of the room and swallows some aspirin. He takes out a book and reads some. I try to start conversation for some reason but he's not talking. This kid, man!
"You're so boring!" I finally say, giving up.
I lie down on the couch—he's sitting on the floor in front of the couch—and fall asleep. I wake up 'cause Sodapop comes home. Finally!
"Hey Stevie!" He says.
"Sodapop!" Pony exclaims. I roll my eyes at Pony.
"Hey Soda," I say.
"Don't leave me alone with Steve again. It sucked!" Pony begs.
"Don't leave me with him again, he's real annoying. How do ya stand him?"
"He's been like that this whole time!"
"No I haven't! You're so annoying, tag along! Soda, permission to kill your kid brother?"
"Soda, permission to kick Steve out of our couch?"
"Soda come on!"
"I love y'all both! Don't make me choose! I'm gonna lie down for a bit, I'll be back."Soda finally says. I sigh as he goes to his room. I turn on the TV and watch shows until Sodapop finally wakes up.
"I'm bored outta my mind! You wanna do something?" I tell him.
"Sure, Stevie!" He answers.
"What do you wanna do?" I ask, restless.
"I dunno...I mean, we can hunt some action with Dally or something?" He suggests.
"Sure." We walk out of the house together.
"We'll be back for our date tonight, Pony! We'll seeya soon." Soda hollers.

We walk up to Dally.
"Hey Dal!" Sodapop says with his usual eagerness.
"Hey man." Dally responds as he lights a cigarette.
"I was gettin' real bored so we figured you might wanna go hunt some action or something." I say.
"Sure, man," Dal starts walking, "let's get outta here." We follow him. I keep getting lost in thought as we walk. For some reason my mind keeps wandering back to Ponyboy. But why would I think about him? Why does he get on my nerves so much but make me care at the same time? The kid makes me crazy. I feel different when I think about Evie so I really don't think I've got the hots for him. No girl has made me feel like he does so I don't like him like that. Maybe I just hate him that much. Yeah it's probably be that. We see Dally get into a fight and we all end up having to run. Once the coast is clear, we decide to go to Buck's. Sodapop and I sit down with Buck and Dally. My mind is going crazy today so I get a few beers. We sit and drink.
"You okay, Stevie?" Soda's voice startled me out of my thoughts.
"Me?" I ask. Soda nods. "Oh yeah I'm fine." Soda doesn't seem too convinced. Buck is pretty drunk and starts talking about the feeling of being in love.
"Ya know," Buck says drunkenly, "I thought I hated my first love. But get 'em to the bed and you realize. But it sure can feel a hell of a lot like hate. But then like just 'cause I hate someone doesn't mean I love 'em so don't go assuming." I've had enough beer so I feel all loose but not drunk drunk. Ya dig?
"I guess maybe it could be like that. But I loved Sandy at first sight," Soda sighs, "What's it feel like with you and Evie?" Soda asks me. Maybe he senses what's going on. Maybe it's just coincidental.
"I dunno," I start tryna figure out the right words, "I guess it's alright. She can get kind of irritating. She's so obsessed with me and her always being together and kissing and stuff." I realize everyone's looking at me as if I have a third head.
"I don't mean it like that! Don't get me wrong, I love her! Evie's great. I'm just tired uh that's all." I attempt to cover up the previous statement. I think they buy it.
"My first actual love," Dally starts—he's pretty drunk too—,"was nothing like me. Weird huh? They made me soft. Like know one else. I couldn't be tough or mean to them...I sound stupid I should shut up." Dally says. Buck starts talking about how some broad cheated on him. Wait a minute...why does the thought of Evie cheating on my not make me jealous? Oh shit! Holy fuck! I don't actually love Evie...I...I'm gay. And worst of all, I love Ponyboy Curtis. What'll I do on my date tonight?

Sorry this was not a great chapter but I combined this with a half chapter so it's at least a good length now! But the next chapter is really good and a lot happens! It's probably one of my favorite chapters....🙊
Yeah I know this one sucked. Just hang on and bare with me!