14 ; iron

14 IRON

By the time they had returned to the motel, night had fallen and stars had speckled the sky. Nancy was now awake and even more furious than her mother about the course of events that had taken place over the day.

"I mean a tranquilizer dart?" She hissed as Isaac offered her helping hand out of the back seat of her mother's car. "That's just pathetic. I mean, at least have the balls to come up and throw a punch!"

"Nancy!" Her mother exclaimed, raising a brow at the young blonde's choice of words. She inserted the key into the motel room door and unlocked their room, still eying her daughter.

"I think she might still be a little out of it," Isaac suggested as he stifled a chuckle. "You know, from the drugs."

"I mean, I'm just mad I didn't get to see you kick that dude's ass, Mom," Nancy shrugged, her eyes still slightly lidded.

"I think you're right, Isaac," Harper sighed. "Let's make this fast so she can get some rest, alright?" she suggested, turning toward Elise.

The brunette nodded and followed her aunt into the room. Isaac and Nancy followed just behind them, the tall boy leading the short blonde toward an armchair in the far corner of the room and attempting to persuade her to sit down.

Harper motioned for Elise to follow her to the wooden stand opposite of the door. Sitting atop the waist-height table was what looked to be an old tackle box used for fishing. When Harper opened it, however, it was lined with herbs, stones, and countless other materials. Elise noted when she peered inside that the box was actually much larger than it's exterior had led her to believe.

Harper rummaged through the box, pulling out various talismans, crystals, and crumpled cards before finally producing a dull, grey piece of metal. It was molded vaguely into the shape of a rectangle. "There you are," she hummed victoriously.

"What is it?" Elise asked.

"Iron," Harper answered simply as she set the small object down on the table next to them. "I expect you know the effect this mineral has on people like us," she said, quirking a brow expectantly.

Elise nodded, the warm light coming from a lamp in a different corner of the room casting shadows across her features. "I found out the hard way."

Harper pursed her lips and nodded. "The only known way to stop a Vestige is to strip a witch of her powers," she said slowly. "You've passed the age where that stopped being a possibility. But, what if instead of taking your powers away, we simply stop you from being able to use them?" The woman's eyes were wide as she theorized a solution. Elise could tell that this was her natural state: experimenting and theorizing.

"Do you think that would really work?" Elise asked, her brows quirked upward as she examined the iron pendant on the table.

"Of course it'll work," Nancy chimed in from across the room. "My mom's like, super smart."

Harper sighed deeply. "Why don't you come back tomorrow, Elise? We can talk about this more, then. Right now, I need to look after my daughter."

Hey! I'm not dead! I know i keep promising that I'm going to finish this story and you guys are probably tired of hearing it but i'm going to keep saying it anyway. I know this chapter was really short and honestly I've just been sitting on this thing for weeks waiting for the right thing to come to me to fill in the blanks between the scenes i have planned out and honestly I still can't think of anything so I'm going to leave this chapter here and y'all can expect a small time jump in the beginning of the next chapter (nothing major just like half an episode or something) because I have no clue how to build up to it lmao. Also I really didn't plan on Derek and Elise losing their powers at the same time but it's whatever. Next chapter expect some cuteness with some of my OCs. Any guesses who??
Words: 701
Feedback is most appreciated <3