◈ Chapter 16: Thunder Festival ◈

"Thank you for accepting to come with me" you smiled up at the Heavenly King sitting next to you. "I was a bit unsure since you were doing your fortune telling..."

"To be honest, I was surprised when I read it. Of all people to see the Thunder Festival with, you chose me" Coco replied. "But why, exactly?"

"Since I was little, I often went to the festival with my parents. You can see it as an important event we never missed in our lives. Unfortunately, as they grew older, my parents became less adventurous..." you explained, gazing sadly at your laps. "My father caught a sickness from one of his long journeys, and since then he is terribly weak. This year, he won't be able to attend the festival, and my mother decided to stay with him"

"I'm sorry" Coco stared at you apologetically.

"But it's okay. I'll simply bring the festival to him" you assured with a grin. "In fact, there's something I want to bring back as a souvenir: a Thunder Egg"

Every demi-decade, a festival was held in a small village at the bottom of a mountain range, called the Thunder Festival. Various species of thunderbirds could be found in this region, and made it their main habitat for reproduction each half of a decade. Thunder Mihirungs, Thunder Ostriches, Thunder Moa,...You could easily find them there, and even more when the Thunder Festival comes around.

It was a way to celebrate the benefits of their eggs, the Thunder Eggs, who are considered ingredients high in protein and fat. Not only that, but the shell could also be used as a main source of clean energy. While there isn't really any different between a normal egg or a Thunder Egg, the latter comes from a process apart of when the normal eggs are laid. When a thunderbird reaches its peak of egg incubation, they give birth to a bigger egg with enigmatic designs.

The Thunder Egg doesn't contain any living being, only pure energy of protein and fat. Thunderbirds then offered them to the villagers in exchange of a safe place to stay and where they can easily feed themselves. Once the babies reach adulthood, the various species of thunderbirds return to the Gourmet World.

"My father and I would often paint our own Thunder Egg if we found one, and use it as a giant lantern. I could easily trace the light patterns left by the shell with my fingertips, and I share precious moments with my father..." you smiled, tender.

"Komatsu-kun couldn't come with you?" Coco wondered, and you shook your head.

"He has the restaurant to take care of. Besides, I weirdly feel more comfortable going there with you. Does it bother you?"

"O-Oh, no!" the Heavenly King stammered with an embarrassed blush and you giggled.

"I'm teasing you. Hey! We're here!" you told as you got excited, lifting yourself from your seat to gaze outside through the window.