Goodnight

As David pulled into the campground, the cicadas, crickets, and bats collectively chirped a welcoming reverie that carried throughout the grounds. The darkened sky seemed bright to his surroundings. As he exited the vehicle, the darkness seemed to welcome him like an open grave. He shivered, opening the door opposite of Max to grab him. David had to stretch across the seats from the other side since Max had leant on his door. He gently shook Max's shoulder. He muttered something vaguely similar to "fuck off" and went back to sleep. David softly chuckled, a yawn interrupting his statement.
"Come on, Max. You gotta get up." Max repositioned, but didn't get up. David sighed, knowing what to do.

"Alright, Max, I'll carry you to your bed-" before David could finish his sentence, Max jolted up and rolled out of the car. He fell, lightheadedness a side effect of his standing up too quick. Before David could assist- or even comment- Max sprinted off towards his tent. David stood in shock for a moment, then chuckled as he made himself lock up the van despite his own slight drowsiness. He trudged through the dark, following the worn path left from years of children and adults alike walking to and fro. David kept walking, twigs snapping and leaves that dared to turn beige before autumn crackling beneath him. He considered breaking out the rake from the quartermasters shop, but it was too dark.
David finally reached his cabin. He flicked the humming ceiling lamp on, the bright, empty room welcoming him. David combed over his room with his eyes, conjuring his next action in his head before moving. He wanted to lie down and go to sleep directly, but he had personal chores to do. He sighed as he walked into his pocket bathroom, whisking his toothbrush into his hand.

David grabbed a pair of sweats awkwardly hanging on the side of the sink from changing that morning. He vigorously brushed his teeth as he switched pants. When he was done in the bathroom, he flicked the humming bulb in there off and left. He checked the tents of the campers quickly through the window, seeing if they were all dark. When he saw only darkness, he proceeded to complete a few more small chores. After flicking the light off finally, David fell backwards onto his bed. He raked his hands through his hair as he sighed heavily. Thoughts ran rapid through his head, reviewing his day. Getting up, the kids hearing his ringtone, Max misbehaving.... Daniel. Picking him up, driving him a while to his house, waking him up, catching him in his arms, and letting him go. David didn't realize he was smiling until he brought his hands to his face. He shook his head, pushing himself up the bed closer to the headboard. Stop thinking about him, David scolded himself. You're just being silly. And tired. David exhaled, seeking the inside of his eyelids out as a source of interest. He passed out with Daniel on his mind.