Chapter 10

When the bell rang, the first thing I did was find my brother. There was no way I was letting Fitz run off with Sophie again. I felt kinda bad dragging him away--they were clearly in the middle of something--but if Sophie's only reason for being friends with me was so she could score Fitz, I wasn't gonna lose any sleep over it.

Once we were outside, Fitz broke away, glaring at me as he headed over to his friends. I sighed and went over to mine, sliding onto the bench across from Erin and Lucas.

"Well you look cheerful," Lucas noted, looking up from his phone. "Friend troubles?"

"And the mind reader strikes again," I muttered. "I don't care, anyway. I was fine before Sophie, and I'll be fine after her too."

"Atta girl," Lucas said, and went back to fixing his hair.

Erin grinned at me. "Besides--now you have Tam."

I narrowed my eyes at her. "What's that supposed to mean?"

She shrugged. "It's open for interpretation."

Lucas shot a glance over my shoulder. "He might be taken, though."

I followed his gaze, and caught sight of Tam walking out of school, Marella by his side. He jogged up Linh, told her something and gave her a quick hug before following Marella down the street.

As he walked away, he glanced back and met my gaze. He paused, his posture looking almost apologetic--but it was broken as Marella grabbed his hand, dragging him along.

"He is just your math partner, right?" Lucas asked, sounding concerned.

I turned back to my friends. "Yeah," I said, as if trying to reassure myself. "Yeah, he is."

Erin and Lucas shared a glance, but didn't press the matter.

Once I got home, I went straight up to my room, telling both my parents and myself that I had homework. But with the papers spread out in front of me, I just couldn't find the motivation to do it.

Dang it, Biana! I scolded myself, squeezing my eyes shut and forcing the image of his eyes out of my head. Focus! You've known this guy for how long?

I felt like punching something. Why couldn't I keep my stupid emotions under control? I've known Tam for days, and I already had feelings for him?

You're overreacting again, I told myself. It's nothing. He's just your friend.

But that didn't explain the twinge of jealousy I felt at the sight of Marella's hand in his.

I twisted my fingers into my hair. I wasn't making the same mistake again. I wouldn't go through that again.

But which was better? Confessing and being shot down, or letting it simmer under the surface until it burns you?

You're being ridiculous! I told myself. Stop being a drama queen and get your homework done!

I forced myself to my desk and stared at my work, pushing the pencil around with my finger. Math problems sat on the page, glaring up at me and telling me to hurry up and get my life together.

I nearly jumped out of my seat as my phone buzzed.

I glanced at the text and my breath caught. It was Tam.

Hey.

I wanted to text him back. But wasn't he supposed to be with Marella?

Another text: Marella is driving me crazy. Not sure how much longer I can do this.

I smiled, and sent a reply. Just hang in there. It'll mean a lot to her. And as an afterthought, You know she has a crush on you, right?

The typing bubbles went on and off, and then finally: Very funny.

I'm serious.

It was a second before a reply came through. Who put you up to this?

I grinned. My boredom.

A skeptical emoji. Sure. Then another text. Gotta go. See you tomorrow.

See you.

I put my phone down with a sigh. I could almost imagine his expression, pleading with me to get him out of the situation. Him staring at me when I told him Marella's secret, or even legitimately laughing. Very funny.

I flopped onto my bed, my thoughts coming together as I slammed my fist into my pillow, angry with myself and my stupid emotions.

I had a crush on Tam.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hahahaha that was so bad.