2. Neglected

ne·glect·ed

/nəˈɡlektəd/ adjective

not receiving proper attention; disregarded.
...

I dressed in a pair of high-waisted, overstressed skinny jeans, and a form fitting army green medium sleeved shirt and my black steel toe boots. I've been fighting this fever for the past few days. Ever since that day that Edward almost attacked my father and that Jacob had ran out of the house after seeing me in the first time since the movies. That also had been two weeks ago.

I rested my arms on my knees when I finished tying my boots, I ran my hands through my hair, and just sat there for a few minutes. I checked my phone for any notifications. I sighed heavily in disappointment. I waited for Jacob to call or text, but he never did. He stopped after he joined Sam's pack. He had called, and I remember every word he said, and the way he said it. He was hurt, angry and most of all, forced.

I had cried, and cried. I had lost my best friend and now I didn't have anybody else.

Looking in the mirror, I just stared at my reflection. I hated how I looked.

"Don't. Soph, you're stunning."

I looked to Bella in the mirror, "You shouldn't be speaking, Bells. You were a pale goddess."

She scoffed and rolled her doe-wide brown eyes, "Please, Sophia, I'm not arguing with you about this. Not again."

"Okay, but I look like a native american troll," Bella gave me a stern look. I put my hands up in mock surrender, "Okay, I'm done. I'm done."

Downstairs, I sat at the table and ate a bowl of cereal. Dad poured some coffee into a thermos, and grabbed the paper and sat down to read it for a few minutes before he had o leave.

"I will be home late tonight. Don't wait up for dinner. I'll be meeting with Mason county department, they've been having some animal attacks, again," I looked up at him.

"Again?" I quired.

"Yeah, seems like the Cullen's didn't get all of Bella's attackers last year," I rinsed out my bowl.

"Vampires," I said.

"We won't escape them, Sophs," Charlie kissed my temple before going over to the door to pull his coat on and strap on his work belt. "Uh, Sophs," I turned to him, "Can you go over to Billy's after school. Just to ease my mind that you're safe?"

I know why, if there's vampires around, he had more reassurance if I was with the wolves. Especially Jacob.

I nodded, "Of course."

He smiled, "Have a good day."

"You too, Dad. Be careful," I replied as I went over to the stairs to go grab my backpack.

"Always am," He replied and left with that.
...

I started Bella's truck, I drove to school but took a different turn instead. I headed towards the cliffs.

Standing at the edge, my body began to shake, uncontrollably. Pain and anger was the only things that I could feel. A growl slipped from my lips.

"Sophia?" Bella, again.

"Go away, Bella," I snapped.

"Sophia!"

"Soph, let Paul help you. Do not jump."

I continued to look down to the dark, raging waves of water below. I was not here to jump, no matter how you would look at it. The trembling and pain had become unsafe for me to continue to drive, especially to go to school. The cliffs were my only safe haven, and it wasn't working to calm me down.

Shit.

"Sophia," It was Paul, even if he was known for his countless conquests and hotheaded behavior, Paul was my first cousin, and a big brother that I never had. "Fifi, step away from there. Come on," Fifi, Paul's nickname for me.

It made me step back once hearing the name, the feeling it gave me, it made me feel loved, and adored and especially not alone.

"Listen to his voice, Soph. He'll help you."

My eyes were closed and I could feel Bella's hand on my arm, I went to turn around to look at Paul, when my foot slipped and I fell off the cliffs. Chunks of rocks fell along with me.

My heart was in my throat, fear that I have never felt before formed a knot in my throat. I couldn't scream, tears welt in my eyes, I was gonna fall into the icy, raging waters below. And I didn't know if I could survive them.

Or so I thought, strong, hot arms wrapped around me and pulled me away from the cliffs. My heart pounding in my chest.

"I got you, Soph," I held onto Paul, tightly. "I got you."

I wasn't gonna let Paul go anytime soon. If I couldn't have Jacob, I know that Paul will always be here, no matter what.

I hated being neglected by Jacob.

For a reason I didn't know, especially when Jacob had always promised to never leave my side. A promise we had made since before his mother died, after Sarah died and for years after.

Why did he have to break it now?