No Time, No Money.

03/07/18

"Veronica, get your ass out of bed you're going to be late!" My mother screams as I try to pry open my eyelids. I guess I am going to be late for school...... again!

"Coming!" I yell back, very annoyed. I hate myself for staying up until 2am but I can't seem to break the habit.
I climb out of bed with the very little energy I have and throw on some hoodie and tights. My hairs messy but kinda looks cute so I'm just gonna leave it.

"Come on!" My mother whisper-yells at me as she slides me a bowl of cereal and a sandwich. "If you don't want to walk in the snow I suggest you hurry up!" Yup.. it's snowing still. I mean, it's still winter but like- shouldn't it settle down? Nope! It's Canada we're talking about..

After I rush eat my cereal, I brush my teeth, toss my sandwich in my bag and dip to the car.

"Hey mom?" I say.

"What?" My mother sighs.

"Did you know I have 2 presentations today that my brain isn't mentally ready for?"

"No but I'm sure you'll be fine, you're not staying home today either because of it and I know thats what your about to ask."

I grunt in response. I never get a mental day off. Whenever my mom tells me I'm fine, my bones itch it makes me cringe so hard. Like, she doesn't know how I feel, she isn't me!

After we made our way to the school I hop out quickly and say before slamming the car door, "I hope you know I don't like you!"

"Veronica, what was that?!" My friend Jada asks me as she walks up to me.

"My mom is being so not understanding!" I complain.

"Is it about presentations ?" She looks at me with a blank look.

I sigh, "I just wish I could be one of those kids in Cali, rich enough to ditch school and just have fun the rest of my life!"

"Don't we all?"

"I'm sure we all do but not all of us can tolerate the I live jAdA."

Well, the day went by and I made some lame excuse as to why I couldn't do the presentation that day. "I am very sorry but I had sUCH a busy weekend, I had no time to practice." I told both of those teachers. Because my mom works later than the time I get out of school, I walk home. And thats perfectly okay because it gives me time to think and I have no time limit as to when I have to be home.

"Bye Jada, see ya later!" I yell before walking off and hearing her say 'bye' back.

As I'm walking, all I can think about is how happy I could be if I had pretty and expensive things to show off. All over Instagram and Youtube, all I see are people in sunny places with their high end clothing or accessories and their pretty faces and stuff like that. Me? All do is go to school, go home. Go to school, go home. Weekend, then back to school. It's a continuous cycle of boringness and emptiness. Whats gonna happen to me once I'm out of high school, work? Ew. Suddenly, I thought maybe if I prayed for a better, more luxurious life, god or sOMEONE would answer me. So that's what I did.

"Dear God, if you or somebody else is listening, I would like to let you know how boring my life is. I have nothing special to show off and it's a continuous cycle of big fat nothing. So if I could have a lot or maybe just some pretty things and a better life that would be great. aMeN."

I know, I was a little dramatic in that so-called "prayer" but I did what I had to do.

Once I got home, I jumped on my moms work laptop and started searching for flights to Paris. I always wanted to go to Paris so maybe mom will say yes. I was never the "spoiled" kid but I sometimes got to throw in 2 bags of chips in the cart instead of 1. Suddenly that recognizable sound of jumbling keys is heard, moms home. Run! I shut the laptop and dash to the top of the stairs to make it look like I had just been coming down.

"Hi mom! How was work?"

"It was fine, why are you panting?"

"Oh! uh- just did 2 pushups."

"And you're out of breath already? Jeez you should workout more often."

"Haha! Yeah good one ma."

"Well, I'm going to do some work on my laptop so let me know when you want dinner."

Crap. I didn't shut the tab. Not only will she know I touched her computer, she might think I'm trying to plan some trip alone and not tell her.

"Actually! I want dinner now. Can we do that?"

"I guess." She says before changing her direction to the kitchen. Thank. God. I then go to her office room and open up the laptop to shut the tab.

"What're you doing?! You know you're not suppose to be touching that!" My mom yells, clearly spotting me in her office, on her laptop.

"Aren't you suppose to be cooking?" I try to back myself up.

"I forgot some paperwork in here I need to drop off today and wanted to set it on the table so I didn't forget. Now why are you in here?!"

I couldn't answer. For some reason my mind went blank and I forgot to close the tab before she got any closer. She walked over and looked at the screen for a second.

"Paris?! You want to go to Paris?!"

"Mom I-"

"You'll go to Paris when you can afford it yourself! I don't have the time or money to go to Paris so, not happening. End of discussion now get out and go do homework or something."

"Fine." I grunt and stomp off to my room. I flop on my bed and a small tear rolls down my cheek.

"She didn't have to be so rude, all she had to say was no. God I haven't even been to a concert or anywhere outside of my city! At least half of my friends have been on a plane and all of them have been to a concert and show off all these nice new clothes and phones and stuff." An other tear rolls down my cheek.

Eventually I drift off into a sleep so indescribable it felt so good.

And yes, I ditched dinner.