Chapter Twelve

~Dragon's POV~

We made it safely back to the island where our headquarters was finishing up renovations. I felt somewhat awkward returning back to work after exchanging vows and taking Lily as my wife. She was rarely honest or forthcoming with her true inner feelings making it impossible to tell how she felt. Would she be upset if we didn't do the traditional thing that most newlyweds did and take a trip? There was so much to do, I didn't think we could afford to take any further breaks and in her current medical condition, I wasn't sure it was such a good idea for her to move around too much.

She must have been more injured than I'd originally thought as she didn't protest when I told her she was restricted to bedrest. This worried me. Halfway through the day as I was talking with various officers about what needed to be done and our next course of action, I noticed several people slowly start to go missing. By dinner time, I was completely alone in the strategy room. Where did everyone go?

Deciding it was time to check on Lily and thinking I might find some of my men along the way, I headed off in the direction of our bedroom. I saw no sign of anyone along the way, headquarters was eerily quiet. As I drew nearer to our room, I heard the sound of voices and laughter. It sounded like there was a party in our bedroom.

I pushed open the door and shook my head, everyone who'd gone missing throughout the day was piled into our bedroom sitting around the bed listening to Lily tell stories, about me. My face reddened at this, "What's going on here?!"

Everyone jumped, save for Lily who just kept prattling on. Her bright summery green eyes flicked in my direction and a coy smile twisted onto her lips. She knew I was going to barge in and didn't care in the slightest.

"Lily was just recounting your beautiful love story." Ivankov sniffled dramatically and wiped at his eyes.

"I haven't even got to the wedding ceremony yet!" Lily giggled.

"Was it romantic?" Ivankov asked her with a wink.

"The most romantic." She grinned.

I cleared my throat from the doorway as everyone slowly began to forget my presence, "You're supposed to be resting, Lily."

"I AM resting, see, I'm in bed." She indicated her current set up, blankets piled on top of her and pillows around her keeping her propped up and comfortable.

"This might be a little too much excitement while you're recovering." I frowned.

"But they all wanted to hear about it." She folded her arms in front of her chest but winced at the effort. She was still in a lot of pain.

"Fine, but after you're done everyone needs to get back to work and you need to get back to resting." I sighed and took up my post at the door.

Lily launched into a dramatic retelling of the day's events of our wedding starting with her near execution and the run in with Whitebeard and Gol D. Roger. "Even the marines were happy to celebrate our love, they sent us off with a military salute with cannon fire and gunfire."

"No, they were just shooting at us." I shook my head causing a few people to chuckle.

"I think they were supporting our marriage." Lily giggled.

"Believe what you want, nutcase." I shrugged.

After Lily finished her dramatic retelling of our unconventional wedding everyone cheered. They all offered us their congratulations before going back to work. Once everyone had left, I turned to Lily. She looked so small and fragile wrapped in bandages and cocooned in blankets in the giant bed.