Chapter Two- Awkward Silence

The circuit courts were surrounded by flashing camera's and famous news reporters, as Henley stepped out into the sunlight between two armed police officers.

“Back away, give the girl some space,” the social worker shouted, but no one was listening.
Henley was prodded and had microphones shoved in her face.
“How does it feel to know you are the Missing Princess of Wilshire Blvd?”
“Henley, do you intend to go back to your birth name?”
“Henley, what do you think your twin sister would think if she knew you were alive?”

That question stopped her in her tracks. She'd never considered that she might have siblings and definitely not a twin, and the whole thing felt too good to be true except for those words “if she knew”.
The police officers opened the unmarked car and encouraged her to climb inside. “I'm sorry”, she waved to the reporters before sliding into the seat and strapping the belt.

She was a princess but she didn't feel much like one. Her stomach twisted and jumped around like a kitten on a pogo stick and she pinched herself at least a dozen times.

“Is it true that I have a twin sister?” she asked the social worker in the front seat.

“Yes and no. You have a twin sister but she’s in a coma and has been for several months. They don't expect her to live.”

“What happened to her?” Henley leaned forward to hear better over the sounds of the tires against the freeway.

“I don't really know, but your mother can fill you in. Are you excited to meet them?”

She should be. She should be bouncing in her seat, but instead she was thinking about Lucille, her fake mother and wondering why she had stolen her.

“Henley?” The social worker waited for her answer.

“Yes. I just hope they like me.” She pulled her hair over her shoulder and combed through it to relieve her nervousness.

“Your mother screamed and dropped the phone when I told her we were bringing you home. She probably hasn't slept in thirteen years.”

“I hadn't considered that,” the police officer buckled next to me said. “I bet that's true.”

“It's a lot to take in,” Henley replied. “It doesn't seem real yet.”

The social worker reached back and squeezed her hand.

“It's going to take time. They're pretty much stranger's and at first it's going to be hard but after awhile you'll get used to them.”

In the back of Henley's mind, she'd always known. Maybe subconsciously she remembered being kidnapped. Or maybe it was more than that, but once the plane landed and the social worker said, “Well, this is it. Are you ready to meet your family?” Henley wanted nothing more in the whole world.

With camera's rolling, the documentary crew ran along beside Henley through the terminal. The social worker handed her a tissue and pointed down the escalator.

At the bottom, staring up at Henley, was a woman with white shoulder length hair, and Henley's face. Beside her, a tall man with blond gray hair, a huge happy smile and teary red eyes.  They stared at each other as the distance between them shrank and when Henley finally reached her mother and father, there was no awkward silence. Her mother's arms were around her, her face was covered in kisses and she felt a part of them in less than an instant.