Chapter 5: Prefects

[Edited ✔️]

An hour had passed since Professor Dippet held his speech in front of the whole school in the great hall, mainly wishing the students good luck for their next year. Basically like every year. After that, the students and professors enjoyed their feast before going back to their rightful places.

(Y/n) was on her way to the dungeons as Ellie captured her arm, keeping her in place and talking about the subjects she hated. She went on and on, letting more of her tolerance crumble, but before the Slytherin could say something, she spotted Tom who glanced at her from the Slytherin table.

He sat there beside Malfoy. The blond, however, was too busy talking to a fellow Slytherin girl with light brown hair. Even though Malfoy did not pay much attention to Tom because of the girl, Tom seemed rather glad because there was no one who would bother him now.

He could mind his own business after all, but why was he looking at (Y/n) then. She had noticed it ever since she took a seat at the table. Tom would always glance at her during the feast, not saying a word until he averted his gaze.

"And don't forget to sit beside me in class. You know very well how-"

"How much of an idiot you are? Yeah, I figured that out long ago." (Y/n) cut her off in the middle of her sentence.

"(Y/n)...! I did not mean it like that.." Ellie whined and lowered her head in shame. Sure it was rude, but she knew it was also the truth. The girl's grades were bad. Really bad. She told her to pay the library a visit to study hundreds of times, but she just wouldn't listen. It was a miracle she made it this far.

In class she would always make sure to sit next to (Y/n), so she could help her out whenever she needed the other girl's support. Most of the time, however, she was too busy drawing in one of her notebooks. One day when she asked the redhead if drawing was her hobby, she showed her ten different notebooks. All of them were full of drawings and small notes scribbled on the sides.

The only thing that bothered (Y/n) was that Ellie couldn't improve her grades with her silly drawings, yet she wasted her time with them. The other thing that bothered (Y/n) was Ellie's notebooks. All of them looked different and didn't quite match. Why couldn't she just buy that one design or the same colour multiple times?

"But it's the truth." The calm girl answered bluntly and walked out of the great hall, heading to the dungeons and feeling the uncomfortable stare from the new Slytherin prefect on her back as she left.

Outside the great hall, she leaned against the cold wall and waited for the mysterious boy to follow after her, but the one who left the great hall next wasn't Tom, but Professor Slughorn. He gave her a surprised look, almost as if he hasn't expected her to stand there.

"Oh, It's you, Ms (L/n)." He then spoke, while a smile made its way to his face. "It's good to see you here at Hogwarts again."

She stared at him with no real emotion as he talked, listening to his every word and waiting for the conversation to get interesting like she's always done. "It's also good to see you again, Professor. What would we students be without our excellent potions teacher."

"Oho, Ms (L/n), you're flattering me with those words." He chuckled and waved his hand in the air. "Jokes aside, I actually wanted to talk to you. You received my letter, didn't you?"

"Yes." She merely replied.

"Well then, will you join me and the others at my small welcoming party? I'd be honored to have my second best student in my club." He was still smiling at her, but she could tell he was a little nervous she would decline his offer, due to her uninterested expression.